Assistant Director, UACC - Phoenix Administration & Clinical Trials Operations, Phoenix, AZ
Assistant Director, UACC - Phoenix Administration & Clinical Trials Operations (Phoenix, AZ)
Assistant Director, UACC - Phoenix Administration & Clinical Trials Operations (Phoenix, AZ)
Cancer Center Division (0721)
Location Greater Phoenix Area
Please Note: There has a minor edit/reduction to the list of Duties & Responsibilities. As a result, the review date for this position has been extended to 12/08/2017. Here is an exciting opportunity to make a significant impact in the field of cancer center research at an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and serve as a member of leadership team. The University of Arizona Cancer Center’s vision is to be the preeminent leader in achieving freedom from cancer by extending and enhancing the lives of individuals regionally, nationally, and throughout the world. We achieve this vision through creative collaborations, excellence in research, and research driven, multi-disciplinary cancer prevention and patient care programs. Our priority is to assure that all those at risk for and affected by cancer have access to the highest quality care. This key role for the University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC) will be providing senior administrative leadership of research activity of the UACC-Phoenix and the Clinical Trials Office at UACC’s Phoenix, AZ location, Clinical Data and Monitoring, Protocol Review and Monitoring, Clinical Trials Budgeting, Regulatory and Compliance, Data Safety and Monitoring, and other aspects related to management of a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
The Assistant Director plays a critical role in working with the UACC leadership in recruiting new faculty to join the UACC-Phoenix. In this role, he/she coordinates with other University departments in Phoenix and Tucson including the recruitment, support for the hiring process, and onboarding. The Assistant Director ensures policies and procedures of the UA, UA Foundation, UAHS, and the COM are observed.
The position oversees about 10 staff, and growing, who support Cancer Center administration the activation and conduct of cancer trials, the Center’s Protocol Review and Monitoring System, Data and Safety Monitoring Board, research data management and quality, informatics, and financial management. While the emphasis is administrative oversight of the Clinical Trials Office, the position participates in strategic planning and implementation efforts that further transdisciplinary research; for example, assisting with the shared research services, scientific retreats, and integration of Disease-Oriented Teams of physician researchers and clinicians.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Accepting a new position is a big life step. We want potential candidates and their families to be able to make informed decisions. Candidates who are considering relocation to the Tucson or Phoenix area, and have been offered an on-site interview, are encouraged to use the free services offered by Above & Beyond Relocation Services (ABRS).Ask your department contact to be introduced to ABRS prior to your visit.
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Hire, supervise, coach, mentor, and manage performance of the supervisory staff in the office and provide oversight of the staff who report to them.
- Establish and maintain an organizational structure that optimally supports the conduct and support of clinical trials in the Center.
- Support the UACC Director, Deputy Director, and Associate Director of Administration in driving unifying clinical development strategies across the two campuses, Tucson and Phoenix. These strategies will not only ensure the highest level of cancer care in the state but will be designed to support a robust clinical research effort driven by UACC scientists.
- Support the Deputy Director and Medical Director of the UACC-Phoenix in the day-to-day administrative operations of the UACC-Phoenix, including hiring, grants, space, and clinical trials.
- Develop and maintain Clinical Trials Office and other administrative policies, procedures, work instructions, training programs, and other resource information that allows the staff to perform efficiently and to deliver a high quality work product.
- Oversee multiple areas within the UACC-Phoenix Clinical Trials Office, accountable for ensuring excellence and compliance in areas of human resources, clinical trials, grants/contracts management, public relations/communications, philanthropy, and facility management.
- Enhance the interactions between members of UACC disease-oriented teams in Phoenix and Tucson.
- Organize academic conferences that focus on disease or research dependent topics.
- Develop and implement metrics for productivity and quality.
- Provide input to the development of annual budgets for the clinical trials operation, monitor financial status, and take appropriate actions required to manage to budget.
- Serve as a liaison to college and university offices, state and federal agencies, affiliated programs and industry sponsors related to the conduct of clinical research.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with clinic management and staff members who provide standard care in outpatient clinic(s).
- Provide information in support of the NCI Cancer Center Support Grant, progress reports, renewal applications, other grant applications, and contract proposals.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge regarding clinical research protocol development and conduct, budgeting, and contracts in order to serve as a resource for the staff and investigators.
- Provide oversight of regulatory compliance and monitoring.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Business Administration, Nursing, Healthcare Administration, Clinical Research Management, etc.) and at least 5 (five) years of work experience in a clinical research setting.
- At least 5 (five) years of leadership and management experience in healthcare or research.
- Prior supervisory responsibilities.
- Demonstrated decision-making ability.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and interpret policy and directives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in cancer-related clinical trial operations.
- Master’s degree in Hospital and Health Administration, Nursing, Business Administration or other related field.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement efficient processes to facilitate clinical trials.
- Prior clinical trials leadership experience at an NCI-designated Cancer Center.
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week 40+
Job Category Medical / Health Professions
Benefits Eligible Yes - Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay DOE
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number A22169
Number of Vacancies One
Limited to Current UA Employees No
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Date 10/30/2017
Open Until Filled Yes
Review Begins On 12/08/2017
Special Instructions to Applicant
Diversity Statement At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with diverse perspectives and experiences, we encourage minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs.
Quick Link for Internal Postings http://uacareers.com/postings/22942
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first learn about this position?
- Arizona Daily Star
- Arizona Healthcare News
- Arizona Republic
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Department of Economic Security (DES)
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
- Local Job Banks
- Pima County One-Stop
- Professional Conference
- Professional journal/publication
- Referred by UA Employee
- Invited by Dept to Apply
- UA Website
- Do you possess a Bachelor's degree in a related field (Business Administration, Nursing, Healthcare Administration, Clinical Research Management, etc.) and at least 5 (five) years of work experience in a clinical research setting; AND at least 5 (five) years of leadership and management experience in healthcare or research?
- Do you have prior supervisory experience?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter