Counselor I, Fairbanks, AK
Requisition ID : 1394
Salary Range : 17.71 and upwards DOE
Category: Regular Full Time/TOC
Reports to: Clinical Supervisor
Hours of Work: 40 hours/Varies
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Date Approved: 02/20/17
Position provides individual, group, and family counseling, case management, conducts assessments, and develops treatment plans, progress notes, continuing care plans, discharge summaries and supervision to consumers who are experiencing emotional, behavioral and addictive disorders.
- Acts as primary counselor and case manager for consumers in a residential treatment facility or in an outpatient capacity who are experiencing emotional, behavioral and addictive behaviors.
- Conducts initial and on-going assessments and evaluations, problem lists and treatment plans.
- Conducts individual, group and/or family counseling sessions in compliance with program standards and consumer needs.
- Prepares written continuing care plans in cooperation with parent/guardian, referral agencies and other community members and agencies for consumers in accordance with confidentiality laws.
- Prepares discharge summaries and disburses to authorized individuals and agencies in compliance with confidentiality laws.
- Prepares and presents clinical staffing reports using the American Society of Addiction Medicine Placement Criteria standards.
- Participates as a member of the multidisciplinary treatment team and attends all clinical staffing and consultations.
- Provides regular progress reports to referring agencies and/or others in accordance with confidentiality laws.
- Provides case management services and referrals for services not offered on site for consumer. Transports consumer in program vehicles, if necessary.
- Completes all file documentation, progress notes, invoices, Management Information System (MIS) reports and other data and reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintains consumer records in accordance with FNA and other regulatory standards.
- Provides direct consumer supervision and guidance in a clinical setting as well as at other activities.
- Maintains a positive therapeutic environment for consumers who are experiencing emotional, behavioral and addictive disorders.
- Maintain certification requirements as per licensing.
- Monitors consumers confidentiality and accordance with 42CFR part 2 and HIPPA Regulations.
- Attends all staff meetings, staff training and in-service training.
- The incumbent of this position must work well under pressure, meeting multiple and conflicting deadlines. The incumbent shall at all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues, supervisors and consumers.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY
- Familiarity with human resources policies and procedures.
- Ability to report to work in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of customer service concepts and practices.
- Understanding and sensitivity to diverse cultures and lifestyles.
- Skill in operating personal computer utilizing a variety of computer software.
- Skill in managing multiple priorities and tasks concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to work independently as well as with teams.
- Knowledge of dynamics of chemical dependency and demonstrated experience in crisis intervention and working with adolescents and their families.
- Above average communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to accurately follow written and verbal instructions
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Education & Experience)
- High school diploma or equivalent, and
- Minimum of Two (2) years of experience in chemical dependency counseling.
- Certified as State of Alaska Counselor Level I.
- Must obtain Chemical Dependency Certification within 6 months of hire.
- Strong understanding and sensitivity to diverse cultures and lifestyles with demonstrated experience working effectively with Alaska Native populations.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (Education & Experience)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, Counseling or a related field preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 25 lbs. The majority of work is performed in an office setting with a wide variety of people with differing functions, personalities, and abilities. The office is a non-smoking facility with outside smoking areas. The work requires local travel between various program components of FNA which may involve exposure to extreme weather conditions. Works in an environment where protection of consumer confidentiality is essential. Personal Protective Equipment will be provided where/when needed.
Position receives direct supervision from Clinical Supervisor; however, incumbent is expected to effectively perform day-to-day activity as denoted within job description. Work will be monitored through weekly meetings, monthly reports, and regular communication with the Supervisor. General guidelines for operations are based on program requirements and the general policies and procedures of FNA.
No supervision requirements for this position.
This position will require you to frequently (or incidentally) drive both a FNA-owned vehicle and your personal vehicle for FNA business. Per FNA’s automotive insurance policy, in order to drive a FNA-owned vehicle, an individual must be at least 21 years of age. In order to drive a FNA-owned vehicle with consumers in the vehicle, an individual must be at least 25 years of age. Consumers may only be transported in FNA-owned vehicles and may not be transported by an employee in a personal vehicle.
This position requires eligibility for FNA automotive insurance as demonstrated by a current Alaska Driver’s License and a currently driving history and proof of personal liability insurance.
Impact at the program level is high. Program’s level of compliance with program standards is directly affected by the effective performance of duties, especially as they relate to providing HR services to divisions and programs.
Contacts include, and not limited to, volunteers, organizational staff, consumers, and outside resource agencies.
This Job Description describes the essential functions and qualifications. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities, or qualifications of the job; and management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, job-related duties. This document is not intended to exclude modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation for a disability.
This position will (or may) require you to frequently (or incidentally) drive your personal vehicle for FNA business. In order to drive your personal vehicle for FNA business an individual must provide a copy of their current Alaska Driver’s License and a copy of their proof of personal liability insurance. No employee may transport a FNA consumers in a personal vehicle.
Continued employment status will be contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal background investigation and the pre-employment drug testing process. Where required, continued employment status (post job offer) will be contingent upon employee providing certification of annual tuberculosis (TB) screening and medical certification that employee does not, because of infectious or communicable disease, pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of program participants or others in the workplace.
Notice: All employment at the Fairbanks Native Association (FNA) is “at will.” This means the employee or FNA may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no duration of employment is expressed or implied for this position. Your signature indicates that you have read this Job Description and understand the essential functions of and qualifications for the job.