CDI Specialist – RN, Olympia, WA
About Capital Medical Center
Located in Olympia, Capital Medical Center is a 110-bed full-service hospital serving all of Thurston and surrounding counties. Part of the Capella Healthcare family of hospitals, Capital Medical provides a comprehensive range of medical services and high quality care. Capital Medical strives to be a forward thinking, innovative hospital where trust, teamwork, and technology come together to make a positive difference in the health of the community and region. Capital Medical is partly owned by some of the physicians who serve our patients. For more information about our hospital, go online to www.capitalmedical.com.
About this position.
Position Summary: The Qualified candidates for the Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) Specialist is an RN responsible for managing the improvement of the overall quality and completeness of clinical documentation through interaction with physicians, nursing staff, other patient caregivers and HIM coding staff. The CDI Specialist works to ensure the appropriate reimbursement is assigned for the level of service rendered to patients with a DRG-based payer. Facilitates the accuracy and completeness of clinical information used for appropriate coding, and core measure, severity of illness measures as appropriate.
- Ability to meet minimum hospital hiring standards.
- Associate’s degree in Nursing required (Bachelor’s preferred) and/or Certified HIM professional.
- Experience with Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) required
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and or 3M-360 strongly preferred.
- WA State Registered Nurse License
Essential Job Functions*:
- Liaison between Physicians, nursing staff, other patient caregivers, and HIM coding staff;
- Manages and ensures the quality and completeness of clinical documentation.
- Participation in daily interdisciplinary team meetings
- Creates relevant and meaningful queries for healthcare team consideration, sharing knowledge of coding principles and potential reimbursement
- Facilitates the accuracy and completeness of clinical information for appropriate coding, core measures, and severity of illness as appropriate.
- Provides support as a knowledge expert for the ICD-10 to various staff and management.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of medical terminology, acute and chronic illness.
- Accepts personal accountability for own professional development. Assumes the responsibility for clinical competency and professional development. Contributes to the professional development of peers / colleagues and others.
- Actively seeks knowledge and skills appropriate to the practice setting.
- Contributes to the professional development of peers / colleagues and others. Actively seeks knowledge and skills appropriate to the practice setting.
Essential Physical, Mental and/or Environmental Working Conditions:
- Must be able to meet the physical/mental demands of position with or without accommodation. See checklist (page 2) for specific physical, mental and environmental working conditions.
- Must be able to utilize good judgment, demonstrate patience, and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to work in a busy and stressful environment.
*Since it is difficult to identify all essential functions of a job because of changes in the workplace, this job description will be reviewed periodically to ensure that it is accurate and up-to-date.