President / CEO, Bellingham, WA
President / CEO
Location: Bellingham, Washington, United States
Job Title: President/CEO
Reports To: Management Committee
FLSA Status: Exempt, Monday – Friday, 32 - 40 hours
The President/Chief Executive Officer renders professional services to Family Care Network (FCN) in the capacity of President/CEO of the FCN organization. The President/CEO faithfully, industriously and to the best of her/his ability, performs all duties that may be required by virtue of the position. The President/CEO oversees implementation of the strategic goals and objectives of the organization as set forth in the FCN, PLLC Agreement and the Management Committee policy statements. The President/CEO provides support for strategic, clinical, operational, financial and business development planning initiatives taken by each FCN clinic, department and FCN Administration. The President/CEO is committed to providing inspiring and effective leadership while administering, directing and coordinating all activities of the organization toward fulfillment of FCN values, mission, strategy and achievement of its immediate and long-term goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following functions. Nothing in this job description restricts the FCN Management Committee’s ability to assign, reassign or eliminate functions, duties and responsibilities of this position at any time.
- Management Committee Administration and Support: As Chair of the Management Committee, leads agenda development and discussions while adhering to FCN vision, mission, and goals while respecting the time and efforts of Committee members. Maintains continual, open and effective communication with the Management Committee and medical staff. Manages the use of legal counsel for operational matters, and, in conjunction with department leaders will manage the engagement of audit and accounting organizations for operational matters.
- Member and Staff Liaison: Facilitates relationships between Members and Administration and Staff as well as between clinics. Provides open and compassionate one-on-one support to providers based on her/his knowledge of their role, challenges and concerns. Leads efforts to support Members through recruiting, continuing education opportunities, compliance education and implementation and medical staff development. Participates in issues surrounding ethics and quality and supports implementation of the Family Care Network Physician Members and Allied Health Professional Code of Conduct Promise.
- Strategic Planning: Remains current with national family practice and industry conditions and their potential impact on FCN’s policies and operations and, in collaboration with the Management Committee and the Executive Administrative team develops the short-term and long-term strategic plan for FCN and its offered services. Ensures the strategic plan is articulated both internally and externally, and effectively delegates keys activities to ensure timely execution of the strategic plan initiatives.
- Operations Management: Oversees the design, marketing, promotion, delivery, risk management and quality for all FCN programs and services provided to FCN patients. Ensures that policies and practices effectively support sound and safe patient care, and that the delivery of healthcare services provides the highest level of a positive experience for the patient.
- Financial Management: Recommends yearly budget for Management Committee approval and ensures prudent management of FCN’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulation. Ensures that appropriate internal and management controls are established and maintained.
- Human Resources Management: Effectively organizes the functioning of FCN through appropriate delegation and establishes a formal means of accountability for those assigned duties. Ensures effective management of FCN’s human resources according to current, authorized policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations. Completes annual evaluations for direct reports in a timely and effective manner.
- Compliance: Ensures FCN complies with local, state and federal laws and regulations as they apply to FCN operations.
- Leadership Development: Manages, supports and provides developmental guidance for physician and management leadership.
- Community and Public Relations: Ensures that FCN’s mission, programs and essential services are consistently presented in a positive, strong image to all stakeholders including patients, physicians, employees and the community at large. Participates in relevant industry and community forums to communicate FCN’s mission and collaborate with partners in support of that mission.
The Management Committee may assign other duties as necessary.
The President/CEO leads the Executive team and directly supervises the Chief Medical Officer (CMO), Chief Operations Officer (COO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), Executive Manager and Council Physicians.
To fulfill the obligations of this role, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/ or ability required.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and drive a team atmosphere
- Demonstrated knowledge of budgeting, financial, organizational development and information systems
- Ability to discern and maintain confidentiality, e.g. HIPAA, proprietary information, disciplinary actions
- Superior communication skills both verbal and written, in person and over the phone, to successfully represent FCN in the community with patients, staff and other individuals and groups.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business and professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations. Demonstrated team leadership and participation skills leveraging both personal and team member strengths.
- Proven problem-solving skills for a wide range of issues, working with a variety of people while adhering to FCN vision and mission, i.e. define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions in a prompt and effective manner
- Strong time and project management skills in the face of frequent interruptions
Other Characteristics, Skills and Abilities
- Business acumen
- Patient focused
- Of strong character
- Managerial courage
- Superior communicator
- Intellectual horsepower
- Astute/political/interpersonal savvy
- Strategic Agility
- Resilient and stable
- Dealing with ambiguity/paradox
Education and/or Experience
- Family Practice Physician (MD or DO) in good standing
- M.H.A., M.B.A or relevant leadership experience
- Minimum 5 years of leadership experience with healthcare facilities of a similar size and structure