Vice President Medical Affairs, Tucson, AZ
Vice President Medical Affairs
As a member of the Executive Team, the Vice President Medical Affairs will serve as an administrative liaison between administration and the elected Medical Staff Leadership and the Medical Staff. The VP Medical Affairs will assist the Chief Medical Office to facilitate Medical Staff goals regarding clinical quality performance. The VPMA will monitor progress of achievement of the goals and report on their accomplishment.
The VP Medical Affairs maintains the professional staff accreditation and licensure and represents the Medical Staff in these matters. In conjunction with the CMO develops programs for ongoing development of the Medical Staff leadership.
- Oversee, direct and integrate Utilization Management, Professional Staff Office, Case Management, Risk, Safety and Pastoral Services.
- Responsible for all identified outcome measures as denoted on Quality Reporting Dashboard.
- Provides administrative oversight of the Medical Staff Services office
- Provides support for CMO and actively participates with the Chiefs of Staff and the Medical Staff Executive Committee, including areas of credentialing, utilization, quality management, patient safety, peer review, medical staff succession, by-laws, risk management and cost reduction.
- Facilitate and further develop strong collaborative and positive mutually supported relationships between the medical staff and its physicians in order to improve clinical quality and patient experience, achievement of the mission, vision and long term strategic goals.
- Provide support to the Chief of Staff, Medical Staff department and committee chairs in carrying out their responsibilities.
- Facilitate an environment reliant on data driven quality improvement processes to achieve exceptional clinical quality outcomes.
- Develop and implement systems and processes that ensure the highest quality of care and patient safety with evidence-based medicine standards.
- Integrate clinical initiatives, quality improvement and best practices to achieve exceptional patient service, quality and safety.
- Collaborates with CMO, medical directors/physician advisors and administration in providing direction and assistance to clinical departments and hospital administration in evaluating new clinical programs and technologies designed to enhance the care and safety of patients.
- Collaborate with CMO, medical staff directors/physician advisors and administration in developing and maintaining prioritized goals, objectives and work plans including the definition of outcome measures, which are consistent with the mission, vision and overall strategic plan of the organization.
- In conjunction with the CMO and medical staff leaders, facilitate the cooperation and communication of the Medical Staff departments within and between nursing, patient care services and operations.
- Search for opportunities to improve clinical integration linkages for medical staff alignment with TMCH and strengthen collaboration targeted at patient quality and experience.
- Participation in Sentinel Event/Critical Adverse Event investigations and corrective activity.
- Periodically engages in public speaking and in making presentations.
- Adheres to TMCH organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Successfully completed requirements, at an accredited college/university, to achieve licensure as a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of seven years clinical experience required with documentation of medical staff leadership experience demonstrated by progressive leadership responsibilities in a medical directorship, elected medical staff officer position, or previous experience as a VPMA/CMO. Successful completion of an ACGME Residency.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Eligible for medical licensure in the state of Arizona. Able to obtain medical staff membership.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrate a commitment to being part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative leadership team.
- Demonstrate understanding of principles and implications of standards of quality of care, Lean, utilization review, discharge planning and principles of health care management.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the business and financial implications implicit to the long-term wellbeing of a major healthcare system.
- Documented understandings of the regulatory environment in healthcare today including the Stark laws, HIPPA, physician inurement, and the regulatory requirements for a not for profit healthcare system.
Vice President Medical Affairs