Professional Fee Coder III, Fairfield, CA
April 3, 2019
Professional Fee Coder III
- Under the supervision of the Manager of the Ambulatory Coding Services, the coder is responsible for the coding and abstracting of medical records diagnosis and procedures working from the appropriate charge ticket and/or electronic medical record.
- Classification systems used include ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS. All work carried out in accordance with the rules, regulations and coding conventions of the American Hospital Association (Coding Clinic), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and NorthBay Healthcare coding guidelines.
- Abstracts assigned codes into the electronic medical record billing system in the correct position.
- High School Graduate; coding certification required.
- CPC, CCS-P, or RHIT certification in good standing
Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- Five or more years of experience in professional fee coding required, of which three or more years are in inpatient and surgical coding.
- Medical records experience is desired.
- Comprehensive knowledge of coding and billing regulations and guidelines, medical terminology, anatomy and disease processes, CPT-4 and ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM and HCPCS.
- Knowledge of and experience with PC’s and/or computer systems.
- Audit experience preferred.
- Applicant must pass Coder III coding assessment.
- The NorthBay Way is a set of value-based behaviors that are to be consistently demonstrated and role modeled by all employees that work at NorthBay Healthcare. The NorthBay Way principles consist of Caring, Communication, Collaboration, and Competence. Able to communicate effectively with physicians and co-workers.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- The ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to withstand the pressure of continual deadlines and receipt of work with variable requirements.