Certified Diabetic Educator, Phoenix, AZ
Job Title Health Promotion Pre-Diabetic Educator (Registered Dietitian or BC-ADM required)
Job ID 4693
Full/Part Time Full-Time
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,400 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Responsible for diabetes prevention, prediabetes and nutritional consultative services for employer group wellness including communication and integration of health management programming and community wellness consistent with the department standards.
- Ability to work and collaborate with multi-disciplinary wellness team to manage clients with emphasis on account relationships and promotion of population health and employer level strategic health promotion programs.
- Identify integration opportunities with plan vendors to optimize diabetic prevention program (DPP)
- Develop strategic deployment plan for DPP amongst large employer groups
- Active engagement in population identification, being the positive face of BCBSAZ in program implementation and promoting behavior change.
- Act as SME for DPP program and integration/implementation
- Understanding and inclusion of education and coaching using lifestyle modification and nutrition; specifically understands diabetes prevention
- Educate and present to groups on nutrition and utilizing supplement protocols. Instruct groups on basic rules of good nutrition, healthy eating habits and exercise
- Identify, research, process, resolve, and respond to customer and vendor issues via telephone, written communication and/or in person.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships to ensure a high level of client satisfaction including proactive outreach.
- Assist in the development, design and creation of diabetes prevention/prediabetes materials and program
- Provide population health reporting to employer groups for prediabetes results and operations. Ensure benchmark data, best and finals and other presentation materials are accurate, complete and aligned with the strategic needs of the client and BCBSAZ.
- Provide support for community events.
- Act as media and public relations resource for corporate wellness strategy and health management program outreach. Meet quality and timeliness standards to achieve individual and departmental performance goals as defined within the department guidelines.
- Explain to customers (groups, members, brokers, and providers) and vendors a variety of information concerning the organization’s services, including but not limited to BCBSAZ programs and services.
- Consult and coordinate with various internal departments, groups, brokers, providers, vendors, businesses and government agencies to obtain information to meet departmental projects and goals.
- Document and record facts in regards to inquiries, correspondences, and projects by updating files and systems.
- Demonstrate and maintain current working knowledge of the required BCBSAZ systems, procedures, forms and manuals.
- Participate in ongoing continuing education and current developments in the fields of health and wellness and managed care.
- Maintain all standards in consideration of State, Federal, BCBSAZ, and other accreditation requirements.
- Comply with all state and federal regulations for activities performed.
Required Work Experience
- 3 years of experience in diabetes which includes prevention, prediabetes and nutritional management, chronic condition management and/or weight management
- 1 year of experience in nutrition, fitness, and/or behavior modification curriculum and materials development
- Bachelor's degree or four-year degree in nutrition, dietetics or similar field
- Active national registration as a Registered Dietitian or Board Certified-Advanced Diabetis Management (BC-ADM)
- Valid Arizona Driver License with acceptable driving record.
- Certified Diabetic Educator Certification or Board Certified-Advanced Diabetes Management (BC-ADM)
Preferred Work Experience
- 5 year(s) of experience in health promotion and wellness field (Applies to Level 2) and client relationships
- Fluent in Spanish
- Active, current, and unrestricted license to practice in the State of Arizona as a Registered Nurse
- Certified Health Education Specialist or Certified Wellness Program Specialist
Required Job Skills (Applies to All Levels)
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment including copier, fax machine, scanner and telephones
- Intermediate PC proficiency
- Intermediate skill in word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database software
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
Required Professional Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Customer service skills in an operationally changing enviroment, with drive for results and success based on planned objectives.
- Ability to represent and display professional style, pride and adhere to dress code and departmental standards, standards with brokers, customers, members and coworkers.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demand/priorities
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Analytical knowledge to provide reporting and outcomes to employer groups.
- Ability to research and make decisions based on available information to complete activities.
- Strong current knowledge of population health programming
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with multiple priorities with successful outcomes
- Strong problem solving skills with sound judgment
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with employer groups, brokers, vendors, health care providers, members and coworkers
- Utilize interpersonal and active listening skills to achieve customer satisfaction and departmental communication standards
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Act with diplomacy and sensitivity
- Interpret policies, programs and guidelines
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Strong media skills
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies (Applies to All Levels)
- Ability to use available information to provide group's with direction for wellness programming
- Represent BCBSAZ in the community as a subject matter expert
- Establish self as subject matter expert for media and PR projects in a professional manner
- Ability to provide strong direction for health management wellness programming.
- Ability to build strong relationship with groups in a changing environment
- High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals
- Principled approach to business and sound business ethics
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.