Registered Nurse Specialists, Santa Barbara, CA
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Delivers specialized nursing care to patients in accordance with the standards defined by the California State Board of Nursing, the American Nurses Association (ANA) and Sansum Clinic within the following specialty departments. Functions as a primary liaison between patients, staff and physicians.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Provides highly specialized and complex nursing care/procedures to patients specific to the department. Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with nursing standards demonstrating positive outcomes in patient care.
- Collaborates with other professional disciplines to ensure effective and efficient patient care.
- Maintains exam rooms for necessary supplies and materials. Ensures cleanliness.
- May prepare equipment and aid physician during treatment, examination and testing of patients.
- Observes, records and reports patient's condition. Documents and reports reaction to drugs and treatments to providers.
- Educates patient/family about diagnostic procedures, medications, nutrition and maintenance of health and wellness.
- May be asked to act as a team leader and coordinate nursing care for patients in the home department.
- Triages to ensure appointment preferences are given to patients in emergency situations.
- Greets patients and prepares them for physician examination. Screens patients for appropriation information.
- Responds to, documents and refers incoming patient treatment-related phone calls. Instructs patient and family regarding medications and treatment instructions.
- Maintains/reviews patient charts, records and other pertinent information. May post test and examination results.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Maintains strict patient confidentiality in compliance with HIPAA.
- Must thoroughly understand and follow established policy and procedure under minimal supervision as well as make decisions within established clinical nursing standards.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs and activities.
- Exercises discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Knowledge of clinical policies and procedures. Knowledge of clinical practices and medical terminology. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to adapt to varied, age-specific and/or specialized groups. Ability to understand use, function, interpret, document, and keep records. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to organize and prioritize work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to reason and make sound judgments. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management, patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
About the Company
Sansum Clinic is the largest independent nonprofit healthcare organization between the Los Angeles Basin and the San Francisco Bay Area. With more than 150 affiliated physicians and 1,000 employees, Sansum Clinic provides the full spectrum of healthcare services, from primary care to more than 30 specialties. Sansum Clinic serves more than 150,000 patients (600,000 visits) annually at our 25+ patient care facilities between Carpinteria and Santa Maria.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE:
- Must have a valid license in the State of California as a Registered Nurse. Extra certifications pertaining to field of specialty preferable but not required.
- Current CPR certification at time of hire is required. In addition to CPR, ACLS is required at time of hire in the following areas, Cardiology, GI Lab, Urgent Care and Outpatient Surgery (OPS). In addition to CPR PALS will be required in Pediatrics and Urgent Care.
- New graduates are welcome, however, a minimum of one (1) tor two (2) years recent acute care or ambulatory care experience as an RN is preferred or experience in specific specialty.
Competitive salary, depending on experience, with an excellent comprehensive benefit package if eligible, including 403b, medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance and paid time off.