Chief Operating Officer, Mayfield Heights, OH
Chief Operating Officer
Req #: 61747
location: Mayfield Hts, OH
facility: Hillcrest Hospital
professional area: Executive
department: Hillcrest Executive Office
schedule: Full time
Plans, directs, and ensures the smooth and efficient operations of assigned Cleveland Clinic Regional Hospital. Directs administrative staff in setting and monitoring operating measures consistent with achieving the goals and objectives of the executive team. Provides leadership to ensure attainment of strategic objectives and the delivery of quality, economical, health care services; other related initiatives, including quality, innovation, teamwork and service. Ensures new programs are developed and implemented in accordance with strategic planning. Oversees the workforce and ensures that services are designed and provided that meet the needs of patients, physicians, and staff.
- Partners with the Hospital President and the leadership team to develop the strategic and operational goals and needs of the organization and support strategy implementation.
- Participates in the development of the facilities master plan and leads the design of specific physical facilities assigned.
- Monitors financial performance to ensure budgeted volumes, revenues and expenses are realized.
- Develops annual operating objectives and plans for the areas assigned.
- Develops programs related to service line growth strategy.
- Assesses new business opportunities that are presented from local, national, and international sources.
- Oversees capital projects, campus expansion projects, operating initiatives, including facilitation of multiple stakeholders, setting and driving goals and timeliness, developing implementation plans and ensuring project execution.
- Establishes the priorities of all construction/renovation and special projects to minimize disruption of facility services.
- Develops a management team that makes effective decisions and delegates authority to most appropriate level.
- Creates an environment that facilitates innovative delivery of care for inpatient, outpatient, and the community it serves.
- Directs overall operations to include budget development and management, physician and non-staff productivity, marketing, and budgeting.
- Demonstrates visibility and accessibility to staff by making rounds, conducting staff meetings, and focus on employee engagement strategies.
- Leads teams to execute on service line transitions, new services/programs and operational enhancements/changes.
- Collaborates with all staff in the development and measurement of performance goals for quality, cost, growth, people and innovation.
- Provides leadership to ensure attainment of strategic objectives and short and long term growth planning processes, both local and national.
- Participates with members of Governing Board, Medical Staff, Administrative team and Hospital Management in Strategic Planning.
- Serves as a member of Medical Staff Committees.
- Provides a liaison between the medical staff and clinical departments; promotes environment of collaboration with medical staff and hospital clinical departments to provide for the needs of patients.
- Provides leadership in collaboration with Cleveland on all in-house construction, renovations, and other special projects.
- Directs the activities of personnel assigned to the position to develop and achieve goal and objectives that are consistent with those of Cleveland Clinic's strategic plan.
- Assures that all State and County regulatory requirements (JCAHO, AHCA, CMS, NFPA, OSHA, etc.) are met in all areas of operation.
- Designs the administrative structure of departments assigned to maximize productivity and quality while delegating authority appropriately.
- Assists in physician integration activities.
- Ensures that a continuous improvement approach is implemented to measure actual performance against established standards.
- Establishes mechanisms to encourage innovation and to incorporate best practice findings into standards of practice and policies and procedures.
- Measures actual budgetary performance (revenue, expense, staffing) against standards and ensures variances are within established targets.
- Collaborates with the governing body, management, medical staff and clinical staff in planning, promoting and conducting hospital-wide performance assessment and improvement.
- Reports findings to appropriate hospital, medical and governing board committees.
- Establishes plan for performance improvement.
- Participates with other administrative team members in promoting physician and employee satisfaction; initiates corrective actions, as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Health Care Administration or equivalent.
- Position requires an acute understanding of economics and market forces of the health care industry.
- Six Sigma, and/or Lean certification strongly preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Minimum ten years experience in responsible hospital operations at the administrative leadership level.
- Strong hospital management experience required.
- Demonstrated experience and responsibility for recruitment, budgeting, and strategic development with a strong track record of success.
- Experience in managing clinical services and support services in competitive markets, including productivity enhancement, cost reduction, new program development, quality improvement, lean and process improvement strategies.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills, strong organizational, negotiation, collaboration and time management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate to a large, diverse audience.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action. Personal
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.