Ultrasound Technologist, Tacoma, WA
Requisition ID : 1191
Performs diagnostic ultrasound exams in accordance with ARDMS standards and ethics. The Ultrasonographer complies with company policies and procedures to include regulatory changes and prescribed safety standards with the needs of the patient and physician in mind. Responsibilities include integrating scientific knowledge and technical skills with effective patient interaction to provide quality patient care, and useful diagnostic information.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares patient for ultrasound exam with thorough explanation of the procedures and clear instructions.
- Obtains a thorough patient history as it relates to the exam to be completed.
- Reviews the patient’s chart and physician’s request to determine optimal scanning parameters for suspected pathology. Verifies the patient consented to the procedure and fully understands its risks, benefits, alternatives and follow-up.
- Accurately implements the orders of the referring physician.
- Able to perform examinations of the Abdomen, Pelvis, OB, Small Parts & Vascular structures with accuracy.
- Able to present ultrasound examinations to the Radiologist in a professional precise manner.
- Assists patient to scanning table. Positions patient and equipment and utilizes the appropriate ultrasound devices, ultrasonic frequencies and appropriate transducers in accordance with the ultrasound procedure being performed. Immobilizes patients as required for appropriate examination.
- Able to perform examinations in a timely manner.
- Follows and documents scan protocol and/or Radiologist prescription of parameters without error.
- Evaluates images for technical quality, assuring proper identification is recorded.
- Prepares informed consent for, and assists Radiologist with interventional procedures; needle localizations, aspirations, and biopsies as requested.
- Practices aseptic techniques as necessary.
- Assists the Radiologist in reviewing the completed study as is applicable.
- Completes all documentation, paperwork, imaging and archiving necessary to maintain patient file without omissions. Reports to physician and documents, without failure, any negative effects the patient may have experienced.
- Completes Modality Worksheet with accurate information for the Radiologist.
- Maintains high standards regarding the accurate recording of patient information.
- Present high quality ultrasound images and pertinent patient history to radiologist for interpretation.
- Utilizes accurate written and oral communications with patients, physicians, co-workers and supervisors.
- Utilizes exemplary customer service skills with patient and family members.
- Performs necessary computer functions associated with patient exam. Includes PACS.
- Keeps work area and patient exam areas neat and stocked with appropriate supplies.
- Participates in orientation and in-service training for personnel.
- Maintains a professional demeanor with confidentiality.
- Is prompt and efficient with minimal absences.
- Cooperates and maintains good rapport with co-workers to ensure proper patient care and efficient workflow.
- Able to travel to other sites.
- Check work e-mail daily.
- Maintain confidentiality of all center and patient information at all times, as required by facility policy and HIPAA guidelines.
- Follow the center exposure controls plan for blood borne and airborne pathogens.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Graduate from an Accredited Diagnostic Ultrasound program required. Registry or registry eligible in ultrasound. ARDMS in Abdomen & OB/GYN required.
- Breast, Vascular, MSK, NT and pediatrics registries a plus/preferred. Additional ACR requirements may be needed depending upon site and site accreditations.
- Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification required.
- Current BLS certification required.
- Able to perform a variety of examinations pertaining to the Abdomen and Pelvis
- Ability to perform OB (1st 2nd 3rd Trimester) Biophysical Profile, Small Parts (including but not limited to Breast, Scrotal & Thyroid)
- Demonstrate an understanding of human anatomy, physics, physiology, pathology, pharmacology and medical terminology. Utilizing this knowledge, exercises precautions in patient applications respecting the biological effects between ultrasound and tissue.
- Is thorough, accurate, uses sound judgment, and has good time management skills.
- Demonstrates sincere interest in every patient and their well-being; must be sympathetic and empathetic with claustrophobic and any other patients requiring special care.
- Uses appropriate communication style, language, and volume in clinic setting, whether communicating with peers, patients, vendors or others.
- Ability to recognize urgent/emergent findings.
- Ability to demonstrate effective customer service skills, using AIDET/4 As.
- Ability to work effectively in teamwork environment and have respectful behavior while working as a team with co-workers.
- Communicate professionally with other medical facilities, patients, and customers.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and carry out instructions effectively.
- Must possess excellent verbal communication skills; good organization skills.
Work is classified as moderate in physical requirements. Must be able to assist in supporting patients of varying weight. Ability to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Also requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment as necessary.
Work requires high attention to detail and the ability to handle mentally stressful situations. The ability to maintain high level of sensitivity towards confidential information is also required.
Work environment consists of normal office or administrative working conditions. There may be exposure to communicable diseases. There will be limited exposure to ionizing radiation.