CEO Banner University Medical Center Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ
CEO Banner University Medical Center Phoenix
Job Number 245967
Facility Banner--Univ Med Ctr Phoenix
Address : Street 1111 East McDowell Rd
Address : Location US-AZ-Phoenix
Work Schedule Day
Position Type FT: Full-Time
Posting Category Executive - Non-Clinical
Health care is changing, and it’s our goal to create a new model to answer America's health care challenges today and in the future. Our passionate and talented teams are leading the change of the health care landscape in our communities big and small. Banner values and celebrates diversity and inclusion, we promote and cultivate a culturally-rich workforce that is honored to serve, support and provide services to our diverse communities. We believe leveraging these unique perspectives, experiences and talents not only enhances our Banner family, but supports our effectiveness and success as an organization. Join us to achieve our mission “making healthcare easier so life can be better”.
As the CEO for Banner University Medical Center - Phoenix (B-UMCP) you will be highly instrumental as a subject matter expert in working in a highly visible complex environment, at a large teaching facility. In this role you will lead destination programs, provide leadership, coaching and mentoring be innovative, visionary with long term strategic thinking and execution. Candidate must have Academic Medicine experience as an Executive leader to be considered.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. This opportunity is eligible for our Management Incentive Program (MIP) as part of your Total Rewards package. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
The position will reside at the Banner University Medicine Division Phoenix , 1111 E McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85006, 12th street & McDowell
About Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix
Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet™ recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
About Banner Health
Banner Health is one of the largest, nonprofit health care systems in the country and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. Throughout our network of hospitals, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, physician practices and more, our skilled and compassionate professionals use the latest technology to make health care easier, so life can be better. The many locations, career opportunities, and benefits offered at Banner Health help to make the Banner Journey unique and fulfilling for every employee.
This position has overall accountability for producing desired results associated with service excellence, quality clinical outcomes, market share maintenance/expansion, and financial integrity of operations at assigned medical facility or complexes, being highly visible at the facility, region and system levels, and includes the development and management of campus growth and improvement plans, efficient utilization of resources, acquisition of technology, and program development. This position is responsible for developing and fostering positive relationships with all constituents including medical staff, employees, volunteers, external agencies, and the community. This leadership position is also responsible for the development of short and long-term plans for carrying out the goals and objectives of the System as developed by the Board of Directors. This position is responsible serving as a change agent and driving, supporting and modeling a service-oriented culture focused on patient safety and the overall patient experience. This position serves as the principal link between hospital activities and the community, local Board, and medical staff.
- Promotes high performance expectations for the campus leadership/management team. Directs and ensures the effective identification, recruitment, development, and maintenance of talent for current and future organizational/facility needs in order to achieve goals and objectives. Sets clear expectations and holds team members accountable for producing desired outcomes. Motivates and develops team members and promotes teamwork.
- Directs and oversees financial stewardship with an emphasis on providing efficient utilization of resources (maximizing operating margin), and making appropriate decisions pertinent to capital and technology acquisition (maximizing return on investment).
- Maintains a service excellence and healing culture with high expectations established for positive patient experiences. This culture should create an environment that results in high employee retention and high employee satisfaction. This service excellence culture includes ongoing and meaningful communication with employees to ensure that all staff members are well informed and recognized appropriately. Serves as a leader in developing the Continuous Quality Improvement process, in educating staff and role modeling Service Excellence, and in assisting with cultural transformation.
- Develops and maintains positive relations with the medical staff, the community, patients, families, regulatory agencies, contractors, and other applicable parties, ensuring and fostering a high level of collaboration within a highly matrixed team environment in order to coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and resolve problems. Promotes collaboration between the system, hospital management, and medical staff. Serves as a liaison to the medical staff leadership and to the medical staff committees. Works with medical staff to assure the provision of facilities and services that fosters a high level of professional practice and responsiveness to the needs of the community, including high quality patient health care and desired medical management outcomes.
- Provides leadership and actively participates in the development and implementation of strategic, tactical, program and operational planning. Utilizes forecasting and planning processes to identify capital and technology acquisitions and program development opportunities which achieve desired campus growth related to capacity and capability of services offered, ensuring the delivery of services that are responsive to the needs of the community.
- Participates in community and industry activities in an effort to enhance community recognition of the organization and the campus, ensure proper regulatory and accreditation standards, and to obtain cooperation and support of the community on issues that impact the medical center. Positively represents the organization and the facility in the community and/or with various national, regional, and/or local entities, garnering desired support in order to enhance program development.
- Implements, through management and leadership staff, a Patient Safety Plan that: fosters an environment that focuses on processes and outcomes rather than individual blame; ensures that safety is a priority in design and redesign of new services; allocates financial, informational, physical and human resources for improvement activities; and assures patient and family disclosure of untoward outcomes.
- Maintains on-going communication with facility employees to ensure that the staff is well informed in regards to the strategic direction of the System. Conducts routine employee forums to inform and keep abreast of the issues that employees are facing and ensures that issues are addressed timely and appropriately to avoid third party intervention.
Requires a strong knowledge in operations as normally obtained through the completion of a bachelors degree in healthcare administration, management, business, or related field, coupled with a minimum of five years increasingly responsible administrative leadership experience in a healthcare or related field.
Experience representing a hospital, medical complex, and/or medical center(s) to its community, with evidence of strengthening the hospitals presence and impact. Proven track record of partnering with medical staff to achieve desired facility-specific and organizational outcomes. Proven experience in leading fiscally sound, profitable, efficient, and responsible healthcare operations. Strong financial and business acumen, including a keen understanding of operational and financial measures that define success, as well as budgeting and forecasting methodologies, including working knowledge of capital planning and capital investment practices. Knowledge of modern national trends in hospital quality and patient safety.
Must demonstrate expert-level knowledge and awareness of area of expertise in designated facility, business entity or area and/or experience in which the knowledge, skills, and abilities are directly transferrable. Proven track record of driving successful performance outcomes and accomplishing organizational goals. Must demonstrate skills and business acumen through direct leadership experiences such as: Anticipating and responding to the needs of internal and external customers; managing a budget and financial plans; building partnerships with management, staff, and stakeholders to achieve department goals and objectives; managing problems and situations where uncertainty is inherent; persuading others to adopt a particular stance on an issue; developing and evaluating best practices and emerging trends for organizational applicability and appropriateness; constructing new and innovative solutions for complex and varying problems and situations while considering the larger perspective or context; mentoring and coaching staff by providing open and honest feedback to enhance performance; developing and implementing strategic goals and initiatives that support organizational success; demonstrating excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills; demonstrating a passion about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to customers, patients, families, employees and/or physicians.
Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: strong work ethic; results-oriented; persuasive; motivational; able to make rational decisions in difficult situations; inspirational; honorable; confident; systems-thinker; innovative; life-long learner; courageous; high-energy; integrity; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; community visibility and leadership; and passionate about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to patients, families, employees and physicians.
Masters degree preferredDepending on assigned facility, may prefer experience within a multi-unit hospital system. Board Certified American College of Healthcare Executives Fellow (FACHE) credential preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.