Director, Diagnostic Imaging Services, Santa Barbara, CA
Job Title: Director, Diagnostic Imaging Services
Department: Imaging Services
Date Prepared: 01/2011
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Revised: 09/19/2018
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Director, Diagnostic Imaging Services is responsible for overseeing the Radiology and Nuclear Medicine departments in accordance with the mission, vision and values of the organization.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports directly to the Vice President, Operations
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Yes
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Good visual acuity, hand eye coordination, accurate color vision. Ability to speak and hear. Requires regular use of personal protective equipment.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Patient care environment with potential exposure to unpleasant odors, communicable diseases, medicinal preparations, potential exposure to toxic and hazardous drugs, electrical hazards and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Climate controlled, indoor environment.Occasional exposure to outdoor climate. Work may be stressful at times.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Clinical and office equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Manages the staff and resources of the departments to ensure provision of a full range of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine, including tests, evaluations, prescriptions and treatment plans for the most positive outcomes for the patient, and a high degree of productivity for the treating physician.
- Establishes and implements Radiology/Nuclear Medicine policies and procedures and assists in preparing budgets. Upon approaval, implements and administers same, initiating corrective action as necessary.
- Participates in the Utilization Review process. Specifically this position directs the work of the department staff and Clinic facilities devoted to Radiology/Nuclear Medicine including the daily operation of the Clinic sites, providing leadership and direction for the services and programs the department provides.
- Collects data, prepares reports, answers correspondence, and compiles statistics for administrative and regulatory purposes.
- Evaluates the quality of the processes and procedures performed, the patient flow, the effectiveness of the staff (including hiring, performance evaluation, training and disciplinary action), overall departmental performance, compliance issues and work methods.
- Has ultimate responsibility for facility and equipment maintenance and acquisition of supplies and materials.
- Considers and implements meritorious recommendations for improvement.
- Has considerable leadership, planning and decision making responsibilities.
- Oversees all Radiology/Nuclear Medicine Interns.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Works as a team player supporting a variety of staff.
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques.
- Adheres to established safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Maintains and evaluates own clinical expertise and practice. Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual practice.
- Maintains certification and license requirements and submits required evidence of certification/licensure as needed.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Completes annual performance and competency evaluation process with management and participates in goal setting, performance improvement and educational training as needed.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs/activities.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Adheres to HIPAA regulations.
- Exercises discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Must have considerable skill in evaluating utilization statistics and data to make program recommendations. Ability to determine budget needs and maintain expenditures within budget, to communicate clearly and establish/maintain effective working relationships with staff. Demonstrable experience in planning, implementing and directing all aspects of the department. Skill in presenting explanatory information to those involved in Radiology specifically and the Clinic in general. Requires knowledge of managerial principles, and counseling techniques, community resources and agencies, group dynamics and the established practices of Radiology. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to adapt to varied, age-specific and/or specialized groups. Ability to understand use, function, interpret, document, and keep records. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to organize and prioritize work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to reason and make sound judgments. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management, patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE:
- Must be licensed with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists and the State of California
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master's Degree preferred) with a business or clinical concentration preferred.
- Computer proficiency required.
- Demonstration of being a leader and a resource to colleagues.
WE CARE STATEMENT: As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Director, Diagnostic Imaging Services commits to uphold and contribute to the WE CARE culture, serving, communicating and caring wholeheartedly for our patients and colleagues during every encounter, every time.
As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Director, Diagnostic Imaging Services commits to:
- Welcome warmly and sincerely
- Engage wholeheartedly
- Communicate the plan
- Ask questions to deepen understanding
- Reassure best interests are in mind
- Exit with appreciation and thanks