Philanthropy Manager, Santa Barbara, CA
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Philanthropy Manager will assist the Director of Philanthropy who is responsible for multi-faceted fundraising programs to meet the annual and long-range financial goals of the organization. Programs include major gifts, planned gifts, annual giving, direct mail appeals, grants, sponsorships and community service programs.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director, Philanthropy
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Good visual acuity, hand eye coordination, accurate color vision. Ability to speak and hear. Requires regular use of personal protective equipment.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Professional office environment with occasional exposure to patient care environment with potential exposure to unpleasant odors, communicable diseases, medicinal preparations, potential exposure to toxic and hazardous drugs, electrical hazards and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Climate controlled, indoor environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate. Work may be stressful at times.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Typical office equipment including computers, scanners, phones, fax machines.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Responsible for management of donor database and ensures protocols for entering and maintaining information are followed properly and thoroughly.
- Processes all received gifts and grants and prepares personalized thank you letters within 24-48 with CEO signature.
- Manages the Trustee Stewardship Program to cultivate and enhance donor relationships. Management includes donor call sheets for trustees for gifts of $250+ and donor note cards for gifts below $250. Informs Providers and staff of gifts in their honor and provides donor note cards. Coordinates memorial gifts and preparing lists for memorial family.
- Manages the wealth screening of donors and patients by searching, prioritizing, and analyzing findings to increase giving of current donors and identify new prospects.
- Manages the pledges, pledge reminders and payments to Sansum Clinic and/or the capital campaign for the Ridley-Tree Cancer Center. Manages the reporting and quarterly transfer of gifts between Sansum Clinic and the Cancer Foundation of SB for the capital campaign and for Oncology Programs & Services, Research & Clinical Trial – Cancer, Elly Nadel Music Therapy Program and Solvang Oncology.
- Facilitates the in-house annual campaigns for Physicians, Providers, and employees.
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual gift reports for philanthropy and accounting and any other pertinent reports.
- Coordinating all mailings for philanthropy (direct mail), marketing (Good Health, OnCenter, Annual Reports for CFSB and Sansum Clinic).
- Coordinates with the Friends Administrator of any gifts of $2,500+.
- Manages donor files for individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Manages all activities of the Art Committee that includes the art intake process (ensuring submissions meet criteria), donor acknowledgement and the ordering of any donor plaques.
- Schedules meetings, special events, luncheons, and other activities.
- Researches individuals, corporations and foundations using DonorSearch.
- Providing staff support to the Philanthropy/Marketing Committee and the Board of Trustees in conjunction with their fundraising responsibilities. Preparing minutes for Philanthropy/Marketing meetings.
- Provides support for philanthropy and marketing events that includes RSVP’s, guest registration, name tags, any other pertinent tasks.
- Participates in department quality improvement activities and like programs.
- Manages the philanthropy section of the website.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Works as a team player supporting a variety of staff.
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques.
- Adheres to established safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Maintains and evaluates own clinical expertise and practice. Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual practice.
- Maintains certification and license requirements and submits required evidence of certification/licensure as needed.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Completes annual performance and competency evaluation process with management and participates in goal setting, performance improvement and educational training as needed.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs/activities.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Adheres to HIPAA regulations.
- Exercises discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: This position calls for a competent, positive and forward thinking professional. Excellent project management skills and advanced computer skills. Ability to offer creative and innovative marketing and communications solutions to meet clinic marketing objectives. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to adapt to varied, age-specific and/or specialized groups. Ability to understand use, function, interpret, document, and keep records. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to organize and prioritize work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to reason and make sound judgments. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management, patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE: Bachelors degree and at least five to seven years experience with a nonprofit organization preferably in fundraising/development that includes database management. Experience with Raisers Edge preferred.
WE CARE STATEMENT: As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Philanthropy Manager commits to uphold and contribute to the WE CARE culture, serving, communicating and caring wholeheartedly for our patients and colleagues during every encounter, every time.
As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Philanthropy Manager commits to:
- Welcome warmly and sincerely
- Engage wholeheartedly
- Communicate the plan
- Ask questions to deepen understanding
- Reassure best interests are in mind
- Exit with appreciation and thanks