System Administrator II, South San Francisco, CA
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR II
The Health Plan of San Mateo (HPSM), a managed care health plan, seeks a full time Systems Administrator II is responsible for troubleshooting and providing direction as needed on the provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure.
The essential duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures and checklists.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs and verifying the completion of scheduled jobs such as backups and automation schedules.
- Perform regular security monitoring, network scanning and vulnerability assessments
- Plan, implement, monitor and troubleshoot internal information technology security policies, application security, access control, and corporate data safeguards
- Manage the HPSM computerized telephone communications system and oversee the operation and maintenance of assigned systems.
- Evaluate end-user business requirements for enhancements and implementation of new services.
- Provide technical support to HelpDesk as well as end users.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted departments/staff.
- SAN/NAS, iSCSI, NFS, CIFS and fiber channel storage protocols, configuration & management.
- Experience with networking administration (Cisco, Juniper, etc), VLAN & port configuration, VPN configuration and security, etc.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Provide other support as needed to various departments & staff.
- Ensures that department Service Level Agreements are met.
- Establish and maintain constructive relationships with outside vendors.
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies, applies them on the job and recommends innovative and cost effective solutions to management.
- Inter-departmental meetings and collaboration.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
Education and Experience:
- A college degree in the field of computer science or information systems preferred.
- Seven (7) years equivalent work experience required. (a college degree may be substituted for two years work experience.)
- At least five (5) years’ experience working in a mixed Operating System environment including at least one UNIX variant (AIX, Linux) and one Windows variant (2008-2019 Server Platform).
- At least five (5) years’ experience with server hardware installation and maintenance (Cisco UCS experience is a plus).
- Five (5) years’ experience with server infrastructure (routers, switches, load balancers, DNS, NAS/SAN) design and maintenance (Cisco and EMC is a plus).
- Ability to lead teams and meetings as well as effectively mentor and educate staff. Extensive experience with Active Directory management.
- Required experience with the following:
- Database application (SQL Server, DB2) installation and basic maintenance.
- Managing Office 365, including DLP and compliance policies.
- MDM (Mobile Device Management) systems.
- Automation, scripting and scheduling software.
- Avaya Communication Manager (VOIP) platforms.
Personal computers and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. Vmware products, and related storage and backup solutions. Software, hardware, protocols and standards, including Cisco, EMC VNX, VMware and IBM (AIX). UNIX (Bash/Perl/Ant) and Windows (Batch; VBScript; Perl/WMI, Powershell) scripting. Network administration/protocols, including Cisco, Brocade and Fabric OS
Principles of computerized electronic telephone, voice over IP (VOIP) and voicemail systems. Principles, methods and techniques in the design, installation and operation of data, voice and video communications systems, equipment, devices and cabling. Principles, practices, equipment and protocols for design, installation and operation of data communications networks.
Work cooperatively with others. Work as part of a team and support team decisions. Plan, organize, lead and implement tasks and projects. Communicate and collaborate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Adapt to changes in requirements/priorities for daily and specialized tasks. Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with vendor’s software support staff, HPSM staff and HPSM Management team. Provide technical guidance, direction and mentoring to other IT staff. Assume responsibility and exercise good judgment in making decisions within the scope and authority of the position. Organize and prioritize workload, handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines. The ability to take manual tasks and/or processes and automate them to maximize efficiency. Perform repairs, installations, additions and changes to telecommunications equipment.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting Compensation Range: - Depending on Experience
Benefits Information: Excellent benefits package offered, including HPSM paid premiums for employee’s Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Employee pays a small portion of the dependent premiums (5%) for medical and dental benefits. Additional HPSM benefits include fully paid life, AD&D, and LTD insurance; retirement plan (HPSM contributes equivalent of 10% of annual compensation); holiday and vacation pay; tuition reimbursement plan; onsite fitness center and more.
How to Apply
Application Process: To apply, submit a resume and cover letter with salary expectations to: Health Plan of San Mateo, Human Resources Department, 801 Gateway Blvd., Suite 100, South San Francisco, CA 94080 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax: (650) 616-8039. File by: Continuous until filled. The Health Plan of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages minority candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Submissions without a Cover Letter and Salary Expectations may not be considered.