System Administrator I, South San Francisco, CA
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR I
The Health Plan of San Mateo (HPSM), a managed care health plan, seeks a full time System Administrator I. Under general supervision the Systems Administrator I is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure.
The essential duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Troubleshoot hardware, software & network problems ranging from simple to complex.
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures and checklists.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs and verifying the completion of scheduled jobs such as backups and automation schedules.
- Manage the HPSM computerized telephone communications system and oversee the operation and maintenance of assigned systems.
- Evaluate end-user business requirements for enhancements and implementation of new services.
- Provide technical support to HelpDesk as well as end users.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Perform regular security monitoring, network scanning and vulnerability assessments
- Plan, implement and monitor internal information technology security policies, application security, access control and corporate data safeguards
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Provide other support as needed from various departments/staff.
- Ensures that department Service Level Agreements are met.
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies and applies them on the job.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends
Education and Experience:
- A college degree in the field of computer science or information systems preferred.
- Five (5) years equivalent work experience required. (a college degree may be substituted for two years work experience.)
- At least three (3) years’ experience working in a mixed Operating System environment including at least one UNIX variant (AIX, Linux) and one Windows variant (2008-2012 Server Platform).
- At least three (3) years’ experience with server hardware installation and maintenance (Cisco UCS experience is a plus).
- Two (2) years’ experience with server infrastructure (routers, switches, load balancers, DNS, NAS/SAN) design and maintenance (Cisco and EMC is a plus).
- Required experience with the following:
- Active Directory management.
- Networking administration (Cisco, Juniper, etc), VLAN & port configuration, VPN configuration and security, etc.
- Managing Office 365, including DLP, compliance policies.
- Database application (SQL Server, DB2) installation and basic maintenance.
- MDM (Mobile Device Management) systems.
- Experience with MDM (Mobile Device Management) systems preferred.
- Experience with VOIP, Avaya Communication Manager (VOIP) platforms preferred.
Personal computers and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. SAN/NAS, iSCSI, NFS, CIFS and fiber channel storage protocols, configuration & management.
Vmware products and solutions. Software, hardware, protocols, and standards, including Cisco, EMC VNX, VMware and IBM (AIX). UNIX (Bash/Perl/Ant) and Windows (Batch; VBScript; Perl/WMI, Powershell) scripting.
Backup software, including Backup Exec, Veeam, Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)
Network administration/protocols. Principles of computerized electronic telephone, voice over IP (VOIP) and voicemail systems.
Work cooperatively with others. Work as part of a team and support team decisions. Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Adapt to changes in requirements/priorities for daily and specialized tasks. Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with vendor’s software support staff, HPSM staff and HPSM Management team. Provide technical guidance to other IT staff. Assume responsibility and exercise good judgment in making decisions within the scope and authority of the position. Organize and prioritize workload, handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines. The ability to take manual tasks and/or processes and automate them to maximize efficiency. Perform repairs, installations, additions and changes to telecommunications equipment.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting Compensation Range: - Depending on Experience
Benefits Information: Excellent benefits package offered, including HPSM paid premiums for employee’s Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Employee pays a small portion of the dependent premiums (5%) for medical and dental benefits. Additional HPSM benefits include fully paid life, AD&D, and LTD insurance; retirement plan (HPSM contributes equivalent of 10% of annual compensation); holiday and vacation pay; tuition reimbursement plan; onsite fitness center and more.
How to Apply
Application Process: To apply, submit a resume and cover letter with salary expectations to: Health Plan of San Mateo, Human Resources Department, 801 Gateway Blvd., Suite 100, South San Francisco, CA 94080 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax: (650) 616-8039. File by: Continuous until filled. The Health Plan of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages minority candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Submissions without a Cover Letter and Salary Expectations may not be considered.