Registered Nurse Specialist, Surgery Center, Santa Barbara, CA
Job Title: Registered Nurse Specialist, Surgery Center
Department: Foothill ASC
Date Prepared: 06/2014
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Date Revised: 09/27/2018
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This position provides highly specialized and complex nursing care/procedures to patients. Responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and coordinating patient care. Responsible for the achievement of patient outcomes through implementation of critical pathways and in accordance with the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Clinical site leader and/or Director of Nursing
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Clinical staff as assigned
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift/transfer patients in excess of 100 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Good visual acuity, accurate color vision. Ability to speak and hear. Requires regular use of personal protective equipment.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Patient care environment with potential exposure to blood, body fluids, odors, communicable diseases, medicinal preparations, toxic substances, electrical hazards and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Climate controlled, indoor environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate. Work may be stressful at times.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Clinical equipment used for patient care and office equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Assesses plans, evaluates and ensures the implementation of age specific patient care to achieve identified outcomes.
- Assesses learning needs and educates with patient according to patient’s level of understanding.
- Utilizes specialized nursing knowledge, standards, process and discriminative judgment when planning and/or implementing direct or indirect care.
- Implements appropriate standards of care based on assessment data and patient’s own goals.
- Greets patients, verifies patient identity, assesses patient’s physical needs, alleviates patient anxiety, and checks chart for necessary documentation.
- Collaborates with healthcare professionals and ensures provision of patient care in an organized and timely manner.
- Provides necessary supportive equipment for patient comfort (i.e., pillows, blankets, protective paddings, etc…).
- Positions patient with awareness of body alignment, circulation and pressure points.
- Demonstrates ability to direct and provide patient care in emergency situations.
- Promotes physical comfort and provides emotional support and safety for patient.
- Documents medication administration in a timely manner and within clinic hours on a daily basis.
- Provides patient education regarding medications, physician instructions and procedures.
- Provides nursing care and appropriate monitoring according to policies and procedures.
- Properly labels and cares for specimens.
- Practices and monitors aseptic techniques.
- Assists physician/clinical staff and prepares equipment as needed.
- Specific Duties may include"
- Checks updated schedule and prepare supplies and equipment. Checks and documents defibrillator and laryngoscope functions as assigned. Prepares crash cart/emergency equipment, monitoring equipment and surgical equipment.
- Reviews chart to verify necessary documentation to proceed with the surgical procedure. Identifies patient, procedure, site and surgeon.Obtains and verifies operative/procedure consent and clarifies operative site.
- Verifies arrangements for transportation home.
- Hooks up monitoring equipment, records baseline vital signs and applies grounding pad. Starts lV and medicates patient as ordered by physician
- May assist with pre-operative and post-operative patient calls.
- May assist with cleaning of preoperative and recovery room areas according to policies and procedures.May prepare and restock area for following day.
- Maintains an environment that promotes safety: (a) temperature range, (b) electrical safety measures, (c) oxygen and suction equipment, (d) resuscitation equipment, (e) noise control, (f) traffic control, and (f) control of contamination.
- May assist provider by handling messages, prescription refills, prior authorization and other miscellaneous paperwork.
- Communicates relevant information to clinical and administrative staff.
- Performs and assigns patient care responsibilities based on patient needs and abilities of available staff.
- Completes documentation to ensure the availability of accurate and up to date information in accordance with established standards.
- Revises plan of care based on change in patient status or staffing change.
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations.
- Initiates appropriate infection control measures.
- Provides input regarding equipment and supply needs.
- Works as a team player supporting a variety of staff.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques.
- Adheres to established safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Delivers safe patient care according to policy and procedure
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment/machinery and follows procedures for reporting/correcting an unsafe situation.
- Maintains and evaluates own clinical expertise and practice. Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual practice.
- Maintains certification and license requirements and submits required evidence of certification/licensure as needed.
- Assists with in-service and patient education and staff education as needed.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Completes annual performance and competency evaluation process with management and participates in goal setting, performance improvement and educational training as needed.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs/activities.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Adheres to HIPAA regulations.
- Exercises discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to provide and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments specific to department specialty. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Ability to correlate clinical data with patient’s medical and nursing care. Ability to set priorities. Ability to provide direction to others that is clear, concise and promotes efficiency. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to adapt to varied, age-specific and/or specialized groups. Ability to maintain quality control standards. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to communicate clearly in English. Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide on-going patient care. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE
- Graduate of an Accredited School of Nursing.
- At least one year of OR and/or medical/surgical nursing experience preferred.
- Computer proficiency required. Experience with electronic medical records preferred.
- Current state licensure as registered nurse required. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required or dually certified in both AHA Advanced Cardiac Life Support and AHA Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- Specialty certification recommended.
WE CARE STATEMENT: As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Registered Nurse Specialist, Surgery Center commits to uphold and contribute to the WE CARE culture, serving, communicating and caring wholeheartedly for our patients and colleagues during every encounter, every time.
As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Registered Nurse Specialist, Surgery Center commits to:
- Welcome warmly and sincerely
- Communicate the plan
- Ask questions to deepen understanding
- Reassure best interests are in mind
- Exit with appreciation and thanks