Registered Nurse Specialist - Orthopedics, Santa Barbara, CA
Job Title: Registered Nurse Specialist
Date Prepared: 05/2009
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Date Revised: 09/20/2018
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Delivers specialized nursing care to patients in accordance with the standards defined by the California State Board of Nursing, the American Nurses Association (ANA) and Sansum Clinic within the following specialty departments. Functions as a primary liaison between patients, staff and physicians.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Department Manager
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Good visual acuity, hand eye coordination, accurate color vision. Ability to speak and hear. Requires regular use of personal protective equipment.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Patient care environment with potential exposure to unpleasant odors, communicable diseases, medicinal preparations, potential exposure to toxic and hazardous drugs, electrical hazards and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Climate controlled, indoor environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate. Work may be stressful at times.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Clinical and office equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Provides highly specialized and complex nursing care/procedures to patients specific to the department. Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with nursing standards demonstrating positive outcomes in patient care.
- Collaborates with other professional disciplines to ensure effective and efficient patient care.
- Maintains exam rooms for necessary supplies and materials. Ensures cleanliness.
- May prepare equipment and aid physician during treatment, examination and testing of patients.
- Observes, records and reports patient’s condition. Documents and reports reaction to drugs and treatments to providers.
- Educates patient/family about diagnostic procedures, medications, nutrition and maintenance of health and wellness.
- May be asked to act as a team leader and coordinate nursing care for patients in the home department.
- Triages to ensure appointment preferences are given to patients in emergency situations.
- Greets patients and prepares them for physician examination. Screens patients for appropriation information.
- Responds to, documents and refers incoming patient treatment-related phone calls. Instructs patient and family regarding medications and treatment instructions.
- Maintains/reviews patient charts, records and other pertinent information. May post test and examination results.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Maintains strict patient confidentiality in compliance with HIPAA.
- Must thoroughly understand and follow established policy and procedure under minimal supervision as well as make decisions within established clinical nursing standards.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs and activities.
- Exercises discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Knowledge of clinical policies and procedures. Knowledge of clinical practices and medical terminology. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to adapt to varied, age-specific and/or specialized groups. Ability to understand use, function, interpret, document, and keep records. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to organize and prioritize work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to reason and make sound judgments. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management, patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE:
- Must have a valid license in the State of California as a Registered Nurse. Extra certifications pertaining to field of specialty preferable but not required.
- Current CPR certification at time of hire is required. In addition to CPR, ACLS is required at time of hire in the following areas, Cardiology, GI Lab, Urgent Care and Outpatient Surgery (OPS). In addition to CPR PALS will be required in Pediatrics and Urgent Care.
- New graduates are welcome, however, a minimum of one (1) tor two (2) years recent acute care or ambulatory care experience as an RN is preferred or experience in specific specialty.
WE CARE STATEMENT: As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Registered Nurse Specialist, Surgery Center commits to uphold and contribute to the WE CARE culture, serving, communicating and caring wholeheartedly for our patients and colleagues during every encounter, every time.
As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Registered Nurse Specialist, Surgery Center commits to:
- Welcome warmly and sincerely
- Communicate the plan
- Ask questions to deepen understanding
- Reassure best interests are in mind
- Exit with appreciation and thanks