Director of Dietary Services, Olympia, WA
Position Summary: Accountable to provide twenty four hour oversight of dietary services including staff recruitment/retention, staff performance and counseling, policy/procedure, staffing, performance improvement, staff development and education, resource management and program development. Communicate with physicians and patients regarding nutritional and dietary issues. Directs services, guides orientation, and is responsible for all in-service education for their staff.
- Ability to meet minimum hospital hiring standards.
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in Food Science, Nutrition or other related field preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience
- Registered Dietitian or Certified Dietary Manager strongly preferred
Essential Job Functions:*
- Ensures that food and nutrition services are in compliance with state, county, local and Joint Commission inspection standards. Develops policies and procedures that establish food safety standards within the department. Purchases food items from approved suppliers. Delegates cleaning assignments and holds employees accountable for maintaining a clean work area. Maintains temperature records for food stored in hot and cold holding equipment. Monitors dietary activities for consistent compliance with food safety standards.
- Develops menus for patients, cafeteria and catering that are appealing and palatable. Ensures that patient meal plans are consistent with the hospital diet manual.
- Conducts departmental operations within budget and is accountable for discrepancies.
- Identifies changes needed in existing service lines and represents departmental needs to administration. Participates in continuous quality improvement projects.
- Supervises clinical nutrition program. Participates in relevant committee meetings. Provides dietitians with clinical nutrition references. Monitors dietitians to ensure that referrals/consults are responded to within established timeframe and that interventions/recommendations are consistent with the evidence-based guidelines. Maintains enteral nutrition formulary and requests ne formulas as needed.
- Promotes a culture of service within the department. Establishes standards of behavior that value customers and put patient needs first.
- Establishes work methods, job descriptions and standards of performance for employees. Assesses and defines the initial and ongoing qualifications and competency levels of staff members. Evaluates employee performance; provides regular feedback. Follows policies and procedures for disciplining employees; maintains complete documentation. Interviews candidates and selects applicants that are best fit for the job. Identifies educational needs and conducts in-service training. Provides employees with the resources needed to complete their work duties.
- Maintains current knowledge in food and nutrition. Participates in leadership development and continuing education.
Essential Physical, Mental and/or Environmental Working Conditions:
- Must be able to meet the physical/mental demands of position with or without accommodation. See checklist (page 3) for specific physical, mental and environmental working conditions.
- Must be able to utilize good judgment, demonstrate patience, and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to work in a busy and stressful environment.
*Since it is difficult to identify all essential functions of a job because of changes in the workplace, this job description will be reviewed periodically to ensure that it is accurate and up-to-date.
About Capital Medical Center
Located in Olympia, Capital Medical Center is a 110-bed full-service hospital serving all of Thurston and surrounding counties. Part of the LifePoint Health family of hospitals, Capital Medical provides a comprehensive range of medical services and high quality care. Capital Medical strives to be a forward thinking, innovative hospital where trust, teamwork, and technology come together to make a positive difference in the health of the community and region. Capital Medical is partly owned by some of the physicians who serve our patients. For more information about our hospital, go online to www.capitalmedical.com. Capital Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.