Director of Community Engagement, Kirkland, WA
Director of Community Engagement
Provides strategic leadership and the organization’s participation in engaging with and for the community’s health and wellness. Fosters a relationship with all community audiences that, through a collaborative process, invites understanding and support for EvergreenHealth, its mission, programs and services, ideas and challenges. Provides assistance to the, Board of Directors, Chief Marketing, Communications & Engagement Officer and Leadership team regarding the implementation of engagement strategies, communication projects and health and wellness programming, in accordance with system objectives. Serves as the coordinator of various community relations events, sponsorships, activities and conversations, including the development of an annual plan, needs assessment and desired outcomes, under the direction of the Chief Marketing, Communications & Engagement Officer.
Serves as the primary community liaison for external community partners, service clubs, business groups, community sponsorships and EvergreenHealth’s leader for collaborative community health education programs and supports the Community Advisors activities, and engagement. Duties include monitoring Community Health operational budgets, leading/coordinating the yearly levy budget process and ensuring timely completion of all program statistics, including cost-benefit analyses of these programs.
Director for the Community Health and Education team and reports directly to the Chief Marketing, Communications & Engagement Officer.
Primary Job Duties
- Develops strategies and tactics to include other organizational leaders, representatives and physicians as part of community outreach and engagement activities and commitments.
- Serves as EvergreenHealth’s representative in various service groups and community organizations, including attending important community events as system representative/spokesperson.
- Collaborates with the Chief Marketing, Communications & Engagement Officer in developing services, programs, presentations and materials designed to educate and support a positive understanding of EvergreenHealth in the community at large.
- Creates formal, and seizes informal, opportunities to share EvergreenHealth’s messages in the community at large and communicates community sentiment back to the organization.
- Serves as the primary community relations representative and provides staff support in coordination with the Chief Marketing, Communications & Engagement Officer to ensure the organization contributes time and talent to community initiatives that support and appropriately extend the organization’s mission.
- Coordinates EvergreenHealth’s CEO, Board, Physician and Executive Leadership participation.
- Provides necessary support in identifying and reporting community benefit related programs/services for the annual report and other state/federal requirements when necessary.
- Reports specific community feedback/concerns to EvergreenHealth leadership
- Identifies, develops and maintains community-based partnerships that align with levy-funded programs, community health needs assessment and the organization’s strategic plan
- Coordinates all aspects of community sponsorships.
- Collaborates with Chief Marketing, Communications & Engagement Officer in planning and implementing community events to create broader awareness of EvergreenHealth and its services (e.g., fairs and community screenings).
- Seeks and identifies opportunities to partner and collaborate with business and community organizations (e.g., Chambers of Commerce, etc.) and to publicize those partnerships.
- Serves as lead for designated EvergreenHealth sponsored community fairs and events, which includes working with local nonprofits, vendors, EvergreenHealth departments, physician offices and community (e.g., fairs, open houses, presentations/tours and employee activities).
- Develops, implements, promotes and evaluates community health education programs.
- Researches, develops/acquires and administers a health education curriculum that supports the program's outcomes and meets EvergreenHealth criteria.
- Leads the assessment, planning, development, administration and reporting of assessment tools to be used to evaluate the effectiveness of EvergreenHealth’s community education programs.
- Writes and develops reports, correspondence, promotional pieces or other materials requested by the Chief Marketing, Communications & Engagement Officer, in a timely manner.
- Develops projected budgets for program. Responsible for tracking, monitoring and keeping within projected budget limits.
- Manages external speakers and other vendor relationships.
Required for the position:
- Master’s degree in public health or business administration
- 5 years of healthcare operations experience
- 5 years of experience in progressive leadership responsibilities in medium sized health system
- Must understand the region and the community’s issues. Must have a patient-oriented, customer-service focus.
- Must have professionalism, flexibility, honesty, sensitivity, leadership skills, maturity and ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Demonstrated success in building & maintaining positive, effective and productive relationships with administrative & clinical leadership.
- Ability to act as liaison, between the administrative and medical staffs, Board of Directors and external stakeholders.
- Ability to provide leadership to establish priorities and to develop and implement solutions.
- A high orientation to detail with proven analytical and financial skills.
- A team player who excels in developing team momentum, and enthusiasm.
- Extensive writing, media relations and event planning skills are needed.
- Experience in supervising personnel and managing resources (e.g., labor and budget).