Medical Social Worker, Fairfield or Santa Rosa, CA
Medical Social Worker
Job LocationsUS-CA-Fairfield | US-CA-Santa Rosa
Job ID 2018-1217 Category Health Services/ Care Coordination
Identify member non-medical needs and provide psychosocial case management for assigned demographic (i.e., adults or pediatric population). The Social Worker provides members and/or their families with the supports needed to cope with chronic, acute and/or terminal illnesses, often complicated by other social/environmental or historical factors. The SW provides services including but not limited to:
- Identification of available public and private resources
- Education regarding systems of care
- Coordination of care across agencies, the care continuum, and life stages
- Education regarding public and private benefits
- Carries a specialized case load of members with significant and/or multiple psychosocial issues which interfere with positive healthcare outcomes.
- Establishes relationship-based communication with member/family
- Develops individualized care plan addressing psychosocial, non-medical barriers to health
- Identifies and provides needed resources to members/families (e.g., housing options, financial assistance, special education options/vocational training/employment)
- Maintains a “member-centric” model of care, with frequent review of member’s priorities.
- Uses motivational strategies and clear communication/limit setting to promote member’s self-management, reduce risk of systems dependency, and to improve the member’s health or social situation
- Support successful transitions across the care continuum (pediatric to adult, acute/post-acute care to community, adaption to disability or trauma, etc.) via effective and frequent communication with providers, members, and identified health care designee
- Provides education to caregiver(s)/parent(s) or member regarding social or developmental needs to prepare for and successfully assume self-management/transition to adulthood for positive healthcare and life outcomes.
- Documents interventions according to departmental policies and procedures.
- Provides education/feedback as needed to staff, providers, and department leadership for transition planning and resource needs Actively participates in meetings with PHC providers, County, State agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Masters in Social Work, Minimum of two (2) years of medical social work in a healthcare setting or Medical Case Management preferred or equivalent work experience considered.
Special Skills, Licenses and Certifications
Valid CA driver’s license and proof of current Automobile insurance compliant with PHC policy are required to operate a vehicle and travel for company business.
Performance Based Competencies
Experience with human growth and development, group and family dynamics, principles of individual and group behavior, provisions of federal, state, and local welfare programs and the laws, rules, and regulations governing their applications: community organizations and resources: socioeconomic conditions and trends: current problems and methodology in public social service. Ability to: assess and evaluate data and develop an effective course of action; make effective use of resources and services in the community; develop and maintain effective working relationships with members, departmental staff, public and private Social Service agencies, community based organizations, and the public; control personal bias and apply social work ethics; input data, reports and narratives into a computer system; keep detailed records and prepare reports and correspondence. Bilingual skills in Spanish preferred.
Work Environment And Physical Demands
Daily use of telephone, fax, computer, and photocopying machine is required. Standard cubicle workstation with a shared common area. Must be able to lift, move, or carry objects of varying size, weighing up to 10 lbs. Ability to travel as needed.
All HealthPlan employees are expected to:
- Provide the highest possible level of service to clients;
- Promote teamwork and cooperative effort among employees;
- Maintain safe practices; and
- Abide by the HealthPlan’s policies and procedures, as they may from time to time be updated.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive or definitive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or work environment change.