Staff Dentist, Santa Rosa, CA
Under the general direction of the Dental Director, the Staff Dentist is responsible for providing clinical dental services and preventive dental care in a community health center setting. The Staff Dentist supervises the dental assistants, dental hygienists, dental residents and dental students of the Santa Rosa Community Health in the absence of the Dental Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Examines individuals requesting care, diagnoses their dental/oral conditions, prescribes and carries out, or directs others in carrying out, appropriate dental/oral treatment, or refers individuals for specialty consultation or treatment in conformance with approved clinical protocols and guidelines.
- Provides assessment and management by risk assessment (CAMBRA) for children.
- Records patient-dentist transactions as they occur in the patient’s dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided.
- Staff Dentist shall complete referrals, data collection, instruments, and other records or paper work as shall be required from time to time by the corporation.
- Educates individuals in the nature of oral health related conditions and in the general promotion of oral health related disease prevention.
- Serves on the dental staff and other center committees as assigned.
- Assists in the provision of continuing education, on-the-job training, and the orientation of community health center staff as requested.
- Assists in the provision of technical assistance and health education to the community as requested.
- Assists in the coordination and integration of the corporation’s dental programs and services with other corporate programs and services for the welfare of the corporation’s patients.
- Participates in the Dental Department’s TQM committee and Peer Review Committee.
- Responsible for personal full compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dentistry and the clinical provision of dental care as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
- Performs all functions in full compliance with the center’s and the Dental Department Exposure Control Plan including but not limited to the use of Personal Protective Equipment and Universal Precautions.
- As directed by the Dental Director, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity and ability to work with diverse patient groups.
- Consistently fulfills quality and production goals set by Dental Director.
- California Dental License, NPI number and DEA registrations.
- Current CPR (BLS) certifications.
- ACLS preferred.
- Completion of an accredited general practice residency program is preferred.
- Two plus years of community clinic experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Requires a comprehensive knowledge of primary dental care in outpatient settings.
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of modern dentistry as related to public health organizations and community health programs as well as current social and economic problems pertaining to public health and their impact on primary health care.
- Use standard office equipment and access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Use computer keyboard with manual and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform repetitive actions efficiently for extended periods of time.
- Communicate effectively in person or via telephone in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking, including a diverse population.
- Give and follow verbal and written instructions with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Perform complex mental functions and basic arithmetic functions; interpret complex laws, regulations, and policies; collect, interpret, and/or analyze complex data and information.
- Vision: see details of objects at close range.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Reach forward, up, down, and to the side.
- Sit or stand for minimum periods of one hour at a time and come and go from the work area repeatedly throughout the day.
- Lift up to twenty (20) pounds.
TO APPLY: Submit your resume to Shannon Young in the Human Resources Department by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax to 707-387-3126. Please reference Staff Dentist in the subject line or fax cover sheet.