Director, People Strategy
Job ID 2019-21589
Benefits Eligible Yes
Type Full-Time Regular
CBA Code Non-Union
Bring Your Passion to the Forefront: Director, People Strategy
Join one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine, in a new and innovative role as a Director of People Strategy. This consulting opportunity transcends the traditional HR Business Partner model. Here, you’ll focus on understanding business goals and plans, determining people implications, and facilitating data-driven people solutions through collaboration with HR and senior business leaders.
In this role, you’ll consult senior business leaders while providing strategic support and people solutions through the deployment of HR programs, interventions, and practices that advance business unit objectives. We are looking for a leader who seeks out challenges and offers proactive solutions and strategies for developing a strong internal workforce and HR strategy. Effectiveness is measured based on business unit satisfaction with results and relationships; quality of people solutions; and speed with which solutions are delivered. Through this highly visible leadership role, you’ll lead the effort in creating a high performing environment that supports the organization’s culture by ensuring a qualified, diverse, inclusive, productive and engaged workforce. The Director will:
- Work from the inside, identifying the needs and acting as a bridge between the business unit and HR subject matter experts [Centers of Expertise (COE)] and HR administrative experts [Shared Services].
- Develop strong relationships with senior business and operations leaders and as a trusted partner, provide advice and counsel for strategic planning and business challenges.
- You’ll partner directly with the Executive Director of People Strategy and HR COE leaders to provide feedback on HR strategies and programs to more effectively meet the current and future needs of the business.
- Utilize workforce data and your expertise in understanding and proactively identifying the talent needs of the business by developing short and long-term strategic plans that strengthen the current and future workforce.
- Engage the HR COEs to design and translate forward-thinking solutions based on relevant business operations and strategies and identify new solutions to address talent and organizational issues.
- Continually analyze UCMC’s employer-employee relationship; perform ongoing evaluation of employee satisfaction and engagement focusing on trust, employee communication, motivation and engagement enhancement activities and practices.
- Drive the alignment of organizational structure, process, rewards, metrics and talent with the strategy of the business units to achieve organizational goals.
You'll thrive in this position if you:
- Strengthen Collaboration– you put the organizations interests and customer needs ahead of your own. You identify and create effective working collaborations with others; establish good interpersonal relationships by helping people feel valued, appreciated, and offer support. You present sound reasons and recommendations that link to the needs of those impacted; obtain agreement to support ideas; leverage win-win solutions to ensure others take action.
- Make Thoughtful Decisions– you identify issues, problems and opportunities; proactively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gathers and examines information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
- Promote Innovation – you combine ideas in a unique way or make connections between ideas that may appear to be different; explore situations from multiple perspectives, seek alternative ways to define problems. You are open to diverse thoughts and approaches by others. You test solutions, gather feedback on effectiveness, review impact on the results and modify appropriately to product expected results.
- Communicate with Impact– you focus on the message of others, provide undivided attention, and defer judgment. You convey messages logically, simply, and with confidence. You check for understanding by asking questions, seeking clarity and responding accordingly.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required
- 10+ years of experience in working with leaders and organizations on workforce and strategic planning is required
- Must have the ability to facilitate and build relationships, adapting communication style to meet the needs of the business and influence change
- Must have the ability to craft a vision and stay the course in terms of delivery
- Need to have high business and financial acumen
- Experience using data to inform and create insights and create strategies to drive outcomes is required
- Must have the ability to manage ambiguity and demonstrate good judgement
- Knowledge of best practices within HR, organization development/design, and change management is expected
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Psychology, or a related field is preferred
- The ability to understand and advise on HR processes, policies, procedures and compliance efforts is preferred
- Leadership/management experience is preferred; a background in a consulting role is strongly preferred
- Lean management and strong program management experience is preferred
Why Join Us
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.