Job Summary: Serves as an active member of the site management team working collaboratively with the Site Administrator, Clinical Director, and the Lead Nurse (and other leadership), regarding the site-based delivery of clinical care. Assists the Site Administrator/Clinical Director to ensure effective coordination and communication with the site’s prescribing clinicians. Assists with operational issues at the site that affects clinical practice. Assists the Chief Medical Officer in communicating system initiatives to psychiatrists and nurse practitioners. Provides clinical supervision to all other psychiatrists, nurse practitioners and physician assistants (prescribers) working at this site including contract staff. Reports to Chief Medical Officer for clinical supervision and the Site Administrator for operational supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Lead Psychiatrist carries a reduced caseload consistent with the number of clinicians supervised and performs essential duties and responsibilities of a site Psychiatrist. Additionally they are responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Serves as member of the site management team working collaboratively with the Site Administrator, Clinical Director, and the site Lead Nurse (and other leadership). Helps to ensure effective coordination and communication with the site Prescribing Clinicians.
- Serves as point person for the site Prescribing Clinicians & the Site Administrator, Clinical Director regarding clinical operational matters specific to the Prescribers scope of work.
- Records potential barriers to quality psychiatric care identified by the site Prescribing Clinicians and collaborates with the Site Administrator, Clinical Director and the Chief Medical Officer in finding solutions to overcoming these barriers.
- Clinically supervises all psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants including contract staff working at their site. This includes participating in performance reviews (Lead psychiatrist will address clinical performance and Clinical Director will address administrative performance), being available for clinical consultation and support, participating in peer reviews and corrective action plans as required.
- Supports and participates in peer reviews, grand rounds, monitoring activities, and corrective action plans, performance improvement projects intended to address the delivery of quality psychiatric care and identified standards of practice.
- In coordination with the area Chief Medical Officer, Site Administrator, and site Clinical Director, participates in the orienting and mentoring of new Prescribing Clinician staff members to general psychiatric and site-based job performance expectations and standards of practice.
- Participates in the recruiting and retention efforts pertaining to site Prescribing Clinicians as requested.
- Responsible for promoting and role modeling practice according to the recovery model and Arnold v. Sarn principles; knows and practices engagement skills including motivational interviewing; and ensures that prescribing clinicians assist consumers to define and achieve their own recovery goals.
- Reviews and signs all amendments and PAD petitions originated by nurse practitioners or physician assistants at their clinic. Approves all reports to PSRB or Superior Court including treatment plan changes for those consumers on conditional release from Arizona State Hospital and receiving services at their clinic.
- Participates in decentralized UM activities including pharmacy and out of home placement.
- Other duties as designated by the Site Administrator and Chief Medical Officer.
Education: Graduation from high school or possession of an appropriate equivalency diploma and graduation from an accredited school of medicine or osteopathy (or international equivalent), at least 4 years of accredited residency training, including a minimum of 3 years in psychiatry.
Work Experience: One year experience in direct service provision.
Licensures: Licensed by the State of Arizona and active to practice as an M.D. or D.O. and a valid and current DEA registration.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Ability to supervise independent professionals
- Good problem solving skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to take initiative and see tasks to completion.
Computer Skills: General computer and ability to work in an EMR system, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Word.