The Director of Laboratory Services is responsible for the leadership, planning, direction, implementation, and evaluation of all aspects of laboratory services across the health system.
The laboratory director will develop and implement strategies, policies and practices to support the organization’s mission, values, operations, and strategic plans.
The laboratory director must ensure the laboratory’s clinical excellence to achieve the highest quality patient care and customer service to our providers and the community.
This individual will lead the lab in the implementation of strategic human resource and clinical initiatives designed to maximize the organization’s investment in facility, personnel, equipment and supplies to optimize a profitable operation and achieve strategic organizational goals.
Human Resource Leadership
Works with senior leadership, the laboratory medical director, and health system departmental leadership to develop departmental strategic initiatives, goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and support to laboratory managers/supervisors/ leads to implement goals and objectives.
- Provides a physical presence across laboratory locations (regular rounding) and after hours availability
- Challenges the status quo for more efficient practices, innovation, and creativity
- Collaboratively evaluates opportunities for improvement in service and develops and implements solutions
- Keeps employees informed of organizational initiatives and departmental changes
- Shapes an environment that is psychologically safe, encouraging, and non-judgmental
- Encourages wellness activities for physical and mental well-being of laboratory staff
- Supports, encourages, and contributes to the professional growth of laboratory leaders as well as all departmental staff members
- Encourages and supports team building
- Performs thoughtful annual performance appraisals of lab managers and holds them accountable for the timely completion of effective direct report performance evaluations
- Selects and on-boards new staff to further the operations and mission of the department, in collaboration with lab management
- Ensures staff respects and maintains the confidentiality of information
Operational and Technical Leadership
- Understands and provides guidance for effective workflows and operations of all aspects of the laboratory
- Ensures engagement of appropriate resources for timely resolution of issues, including operations, patient satisfaction, and provider satisfaction
- Assists with selection and implementation of equipment to achieve quality patient care and financial responsibility
- Oversees the laboratory information system (LIS) and understands functionality of other information systems that impact laboratory operations, particularly the electronic health record system
- Responds timely and appropriately to all requests of the laboratory from other stakeholders
- Searches for and ensures implementation of process improvements
- Ensures the development and implementation of laboratory quality management principles and practices, in coordination with the Laboratory Medical Director
- Provides oversight of quality assurance activities, continuous assessment and improvement of quality services
- Maintains accreditation standards for the all appropriate accrediting bodies including CLIA 88, CAP, HFAP, across all laboratory locations
- Implements the annual departmental operating and capital budgets
- Utilizes the budget as a planning and control tool as well as for cost-to-benefit analysis to substantiate decisions
- Educates lab managers as to the effective use of fiscal tools for staffing and supply management
- Oversees the procurement of supplies, equipment, and services
- Reports strategic initiative budgetary impact to senior leadership
- Prepares and oversees the management of the FTE budget including the development of efficient staffing plans, in cooperation with lab managers
- Remains accountable for departmental productivity
- Ensures laboratory billing practices are compliant with regulatory and organizational requirements
- Investigates, develops, and implements new services, programs, and partnerships that further the mission and profitability of health system laboratory services
- Stays abreast of developments in health care and laboratory services to identify future opportunities for the laboratory, in particular, and health system as a whole
- Collaborates with and involves other services and departments as needed to further goals and initiatives, as needed
- Communicates effectively all changes and new initiatives within the laboratory to appropriate stakeholders
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Biology, Chemistry, or Physical Science from an accredited institution
Education Preferred: Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA), Health Care Administration (MSA, MPH, or MHA) or other advanced degree that is related field to laboratory services
Experience Required: Minimum of 2 years’ experience in laboratory management
- Minimum of 4 years laboratory experience in the performance and oversite responsibility of high complexity laboratory testing (ie. Anatomic Pathology, Microbiology, Transfusion Medicine, Molecular Assay)
- Team leadership and/or direct participation in CAP accreditation inspections
- Diagnostic inpatient and outpatient laboratory experience
- Experience with departmental budgets, inventory, logistics, billing compliance and information systems
- Experience in project management and strategic planning
- Experience in LEAN or other performance improvement programs