Senior Policy Analyst
Full Time Regular
Camarillo, CA, US
Gold Coast Health Plan is seeking a Senior Policy Analyst to enhance and strengthen Gold Coast Health Plan’s (GCHP) policy infrastructure/platform involving state and federal Medicaid programs by tracking and analyzing federal, state and local legislation/regulation that may impact GCHP. Under the guidance of the Executive Director, Strategy and External Affairs, the Senior Policy Analyst is responsible for policy research, analysis, and keeping executive staff abreast of regulations and statutes concerning Medicaid/ Medi-Cal Programs. The Policy Analyst works on projects and other assignments in the Government and Community Relations Department relating to policy objectives and policy initiatives concerning Medicaid/Medi-Cal Programs, and supports other key GCHP staff on related projects.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Analyze and assess relevant federal, state, county, and city local policies and trends.
- Analyze new regulations and statures to determine potential Plan impact coming from the Department of Health Care Services.
- Provide guidance to internal customers on policy implications and recommendations for policy decisions.
- Draft memorandum(s) and report(s) on policies and procedures concerning state and federal Medicaid programs.
- Author GCHP policy briefs and other publications, including developing figures, tables, charts and other data visualizations, fact sheets, and other supporting documents.
- Keep abreast of new policy developments affecting the Medicaid/Medi-Cal program and coverage for the low-income population.
- Monitor activities by the Executive Branch and Congress that will or can impact the health plan; alert and advise the Executive Director of Strategy and External Affairs on emerging opportunities or concerns.
- Other ad hoc assignments and projects in support of GCHP departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal departments to develop policies reflective of operational needs and in compliance with state and federal regulations, and contractual requirements.
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus on strategies and messages among peers and stakeholders.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing priorities in managing various projects simultaneously.
- Maintain a high degree of credibility, confidentiality, and integrity.
- Work independently on assigned projects.
- Work as a team member as department tasks dictate.
- Prioritize tasks according to internal and external deadlines.
- Expertise in federal and state policy issues and data sources related to the Medicaid program.
- Ability to communicate research findings clearly through tables, charts, and figures.
- Strong understanding of the Legislative cycle and state budget process.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely. Superior writing skills with the ability to draft policies using precise and unambiguous language.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Technical Aptitude - Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Relationship Building - Ability to effectively build relationships with customers and co-workers.
- Management Skills - Ability to organize and direct oneself and effectively supervise others.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Health Services Administration, Public Health, or Public Policy, or related field: Required
Master’s Degree: Preferred
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience including health care regulatory, managed care and/or compliance experience, or combination of education and related experience.
Prior work experience working in local government, the State Legislature, or Congress: Strongly Preferred
Advanced computer skills included in the MS Office projects.
Certifications & Licenses:
- Understanding of managed care and government-sponsored health care delivery systems.
- Understanding of managed care operations and issues that affect the organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pertinent federal and state laws related to health care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of policy implications and impact of policy decisions on the organization.
- Intermediate level in Microsoft applications.
Ability to communicate effectively, oversee projects and prioritize resources, Demonstrate initiative to drive tasks and responsibilities. Self-manage priorities and responsibilities to meet objectives Able to interact and maintain vendor relationships. Able to utilize computer programs and tools provided in work environment. Ability to implement and maintain various reports. Leadership skills. Thorough knowledge of Policies and Procedures. Adherence to the Code of Conduct as well as the Code of Ethics.