CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER
County of San Mateo
$239,990.40 - $299,977.60 Annually
San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC) currently has an exceptional opportunity for a qualified Chief Medical Officer (CMO). Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the incumbent will serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team (along with the Chief Operations Officer, Chief Nursing Officer, Chief Quality and Experience Officer and the Chief Financial Officer) and be responsible for leadership of the SMMC delivery systems across its Departments and settings, and in representing SMMC to key external and internal partners. The CMO is the key leader responsible for directing the medical staff's roles and responsibilities within an integrated and community-based system of care.
Examples of Duties:
- Serves on the executive team and works to develop a common strategic vision that achieves SMMC's mission
- Provides clinical leadership to all providers within SMMC and is the liaison with the organized Medical Staff, in particular the Medical Staff Chiefs, Department Chairs and other physician leaders
- Works with the Senior Leadership Team to embed SMMC’s LEAP Principles of Organizational Excellence (Adapted from the Shingo Institute) into all organizational systems
- Oversees Medical Staff services
- Ensures the makeup, amount and scope of medical services within SMMC, including ambulatory care, acute inpatient care, inpatient psychiatric care, emergency and urgent care, and long-term care
- Works with the Chief Quality Officer to ensure the quality of clinical care delivered at SMMC
- Works to maximize the overall productivity of clinical practitioners within SMMC
- Recruits appropriate, high quality practitioners as employees or as contractors
- In conjunction with key SMMC managers, prepares, controls and manages a budget that includes all clinical practitioners within SMMC and the key personnel, functions and equipment that supports them
- Works to develop satisfying careers and career paths for practitioners within SMMC, enhancing retention, quality and productivity in service of the mission of SMMC
- Relates to academic institutions or individuals concerning medical education or programs of medical research and assures their efforts are in the best interests of SMMC and its patient population
- Works closely with the clinical leaders of other health and safety related departments that are within San Mateo County and support their success
- Relates to other clinical entities as the chief clinical representative of SMMC in partnerships that serve the population of San Mateo
- Understands what other clinical resources are located in and around San Mateo County, what resources they possess and how they might potentially be of benefit to the patients served by SMMC
- Performs related duties as assigned
Education: Graduation from an approved medical school with an MD or DO degree and Board Certification in a medical or surgical specialty.
Experience: At least five years of increasingly responsible experience in a health care organization performing a variety of duties related to clinical leadership, administration and management or a combination of such education and experience.
Licensure/Certification: Possession of a valid license issued by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California to practice as a physician.
- Modern hospital and clinic administration and management
- Program development and management
- Lean methodologies and performance improvement
- Contracting and contract management
- Physician credentialing and related regulatory programs
- New ways of addressing the health of a population, including prevention and chronic disease management
- Public systems and new and innovative ways to meet or exceed quality standards and benchmarks
- Formulation and implementation of health care programs, policies and legislation
- Current theories and practices in community health and primary care systems
- Laws, codes and regulations governing community health care facilities, including quality assurance standards and accreditation standards and safety guidelines.
Final Filing Date: March 8, 2021
To learn more about this amazing career opportunity and how to apply, read our job posting at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/2985053/chief-medical-officer-open-promotional?sort=PostingDate%7CDescending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs or visit the County jobs portal page at https://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications are only accepted online.