TITLE Patient Service Coordinator- Limited Term
Salud Para La Gente (SALUD) provides high quality, comprehensive and cost-effective healthcare to underserved low-income communities in the Monterey Bay area, including Santa Cruz County and North Monterey County. We began in Watsonville 1978 as a storefront free clinic,and with the ever growing need for health services, in 1992 became a federally qualified community health center (FQHC). Today we are a primary health care network with 11 clinic sites and over 400 employees and continue to provide high quality services to patients of all ages.
SALUD offers a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative culture that values excellence, achievement, innovation and compassion.
We are seeking a dynamic, organized and detail-oriented Patient Service Coordinator to provide responsible, independent patient services coordination in a community clinic office setting. The Patient Services Coordinator (PSC) interviews patients, collects pertinent information required to maintain a complete registration in the medical/dental records, is knowledgeable about various funding sources and insurance plans. Works closely with the Lead Medical and/or Dental Assistant in coordinating patient flow.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
The ideal candidate will embrace our mission to provide high quality health care to patients of all ages. This position requires the ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and respectfully with people from different cultures and lifestyles; maintain effective working relationships with agency staff and outside organizational representatives. Uses basic math and spelling accurately; operate within a computerized medical system; navigate through the written medical record for input and retrieval or patient information and data collection.
- Consistently adheres to and/or exceeds SALUD's communication guidelines and expectations with patients, peers, and supervisors.
- Greets every patient with a verbal greeting, eye contact and a smile.
- Communicates effectively by using welcoming words, proper tone of voice, appropriate body language, eye contact and smiling in patient interactions. Listens skillfully and displays a willingness and ability to acknowledge patient needs, expectations and values through the use of reflective listening and empathy conveyance¡ Responds to patient needs in ways that are helpful and beyond expectation.
- Collaboratively works with patients through SPLG's communication guidelines to positively affect their health outcomes.
- Registers and orients all patients to clinic policies regarding services offered, appointment system, after hour's coverage, collection policy, etc.
- Enters, reviews, and makes necessary changes to all patient registration information in the practice management system in accordance with established procedures. Ensures that all matters related to patient account information are handled confidentially, effectively, efficiently and in accordance with regulations and contracts.
- Assesses patient income or payer information, ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation, collects amounts due in accordance with established procedures.
- Researches and answers any questions regarding account balances, bills, or correspondence on a patient's account in a timely and professional manner and with regard to patient confidentiality.
- Using proper phone etiquette answers incoming calls courteously and professionally, taking messages and directing them appropriately and screening calls requesting appointments for medical/dental urgency with the assistance of the Lead Medical/Lead Dental Assistant or designee. Contacts patients to confirm appointments and schedules appointment according to protocols.
- Performs administrative tasks as needed to support the clinic operation including filing charts, pulling charts, entering charges, faxing, scanning or sending patient records, contacting patients to recall to clinic, opening mail, etc.
- In cooperation with the Medical/Dental Team and Finance Staff, researches and compiles information from various sources, preparing reports as required.
- Proactive in participating in industry best practices and corporate quality improvement initiatives
- Builds positive relationships with other staff, providers, and supportive departments to maximize accessibility of care to all patients.
- Adheres to the SALUD Mission, Vision, and Values, Standards of Conduct and HIPAA principles.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Minimum of one year's experience in medical office receptionist and/or records
- Experience with computer medical entry
- Excellent alphabetical and numerical skills for filing and payment processing
- Fluent bilingual Spanish/English
- Valid CA Drivers License and current vehicle insurance; must be able to travel between sites.
MINIMUM PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bicultural candidates preferred
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary Range: $16.70 to $20.67 per hour
Benefits include CA Sick Leave and Holiday Pay, prorated per hours worked.