Job Title: Clinician
Job Type: Full time
Location: Barrow, Alaska
Department: Health & Social Services
Division: Integrated Behavioral Health
Summary or Purpose
Provide skilled psychotherapeutic services within the scope of authority and according to Federal, State, Medicaid requirements, and CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) business standards as well as the North Slope Borough policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Provides ethical, legal and professional standards of care and counseling services to residential and non-residential clients within the scope of authority; provides individual/family/group skill development and counseling; observes clients' conditions and behavior, reports significant issues to supervisor.
- Consults with supervisors routinely and as needed; follow direction from the designated supervisor(s).
- Work as a team member with program counseling, clinical and/or administrative staff in accordance with client's treatment plans. Collaborate with other professionals to provide continuum of care.
- Assures accurate and timely documentation of client services within timeframes outlined in program policy;
- Identify and report abuse and neglect to appropriate state entity within time frames required by law.
- Within program guidelines and timeframes, screens and evaluates Behavioral Health clients, provides treatment planning and care coordination to assigned clients, provides appropriate services and referrals to ensure continuity of care, discharges and transitions clients appropriately, and maintains contact with active clients to ensure clinical needs are met and that clients remain eligible for services.
- Maintain required minimum active caseload of individual clients and client groups who require intervention, evaluation, and counseling.
- Provides case management and referral services to Behavioral Health clients, families and significant others. Plans and conducts community outreach programs, workshops and discussion groups to promote health education, risk reduction and healthy behavior.
- Provide effective crisis intervention services, including crisis assessment and counseling, coordination of crisis stabilization, care coordination with involved entities, and implementation of individualized crisis
management plans, and arrange and conduct appropriate follow up and outreach services. Coordinate Mental Health Commitments according to Borough policy, and state statutes.
- Interact with clients in a helpful and therapeutic manner including supervising behaviors of clients. Promote individual physical, social, intellectual, spiritual and emotional development of client. De-escalate client behavior and initiate crisis intervention as appropriate, informing supervisor or on-call clinician of potential or current client issues.
- Report immediately any potential client, staff, facility, vehicle or other problems to appropriate personnel. Prepare all necessary incident reports within program timeframes.
- Collect program statistics and compile reports in timely fashion to supervisor.
- Assist in supervision of Client Advocates, Counselor I, Counselor II, and Counselor III as needed.
- Travel to villages to provide services when planned and as necessary.
- Work assigned day, evening, night, or weekend shift that may include Holidays. Participate in regular on-call rotation. Will be subject to 24-hour on-call status.
- Respect clients and uphold professional codes of ethics by recognizing their rights and maintaining confidentiality, including HIPAA and 42 CFR requirements. Maintains strict confidentiality in all client matters according to State and Federal laws. Follows program policies and procedures related to confidentiality, protected health information, and client records.
- In the event of an emergency, will follow responsibilities as outlined in the North Slope Borough and IBH Policies and Procedures and the Emergency Action Plan.
- Protect self, co-workers and consumers by following policies and procedures to prevent the spread of blood borne and/or airborne diseases.
- Maintain personal and professional development related to position, licensure, or credential, if required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of program, department and Borough policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of local community resources.
- Understanding of policies and Alaska statutes concerning involuntary commitments.
- Ability to work successfully with children, youth, adults and elders.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, other Borough employees and representatives from other agencies.
- Skill in presenting Health information to clients, families, significant others, and the public.
- Demonstrated work experience using PC and common electronic software applications.
- Skill in assessing Behavioral Health clients for mental health and substance abuse problems and making recommendations based on assessments and evaluations.
- Skill in providing effective client care.
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licenses Required:
- Masters Degree from an accredited institution in Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Social Sciences, or related field. Two years clinical work experience, to include utilization of DSM 5 and ICD-10.
- Must be 21 years of age or older;
- Applicant must pass a criminal history background check conducted by the State of Alaska Background Check Unit;
- Documentation that the individual is free from active pulmonary tuberculosis;
- Valid Alaska Drivers license that meets North Slope Borough insurance criteria within 30 days of hire
THE NORTH SLOPE BOROUGH IS AN ALCOHOL AND DRUG FREE WORKPLACE.
This Job Description reflects North Slope Borough’s best effort to describe the essential functions and qualifications of the job described. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude an opportunity for modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation. This is not intended to be a contract.