Job Title: Cardiac Sonographer
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Job Summary: The Sonographer functions as a healthcare provider who, working under the delegated authority of the supervising physician, serves as a medical imaging professional who provides clinically relevant information to assist the physician with the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Requisite sonography education, training, and experience in the specialty area(s) to be performed
- Progressive clinical experience in providing sonography services and demonstrated ability to execute the responsibilities of the position
- Demonstrated competence in the specialty area(s) to be performed, including sonographer certification by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS), American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), or Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
- Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and lifelong learning
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer skills and software programs for documentation activities and report generation
- Comply with clinical and operational protocols, policies, and procedures
- Perform ultrasound tests as scheduled
- Calculates and measures images accurately for use by physician for appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan
- Exercise responsibility for the maintenance and accuracy of facility reports, database records and logs
- How to prepare exam room and ultrasound equipment to conduct sonography examinations in accordance with infectious disease, sterilization, and patient safety protocols, policies, and procedures
- How to review patient medical history and supporting clinical information
- How to ensure that the sonography examination order is complete, contains relevant information, and meets the standard of “medical necessity.”
- How to conduct patient clinical assessment and perform the diagnostic medical sonography examination ordered by the supervising physician in accordance with professional and facility protocols
- Knowledge of patient privacy and confidentiality in accordance with privacy laws (e.g., HIPAA) and facility policies, and procedures
- Communicate with the patient in a manner appropriate to the patient’s ability to understand
- Apply independent, professional, ethical judgment, and critical thinking to safely perform diagnostic sonography procedures
- Extensive education and training in sonography
- Interpersonal, technical and detail-oriented skills
- Good hand-eye coordination and physical stamina
- Use proper patient positioning tools, devices, equipment adjustment, and ergonomically correct scanning techniques to ensure patient comfort and safety, and to prevent compromised data acquisition or musculoskeletal injury to the sonographer
- Apply independent judgment during the sonography examination to ensure that appropriate anatomical, pathological, and clinical conditions are accurately captured in the examination images
- Identify and document any limitations to the sonography examination
- Review examination images, synthesize examination results, and prepare preliminary findings
- Ability to provide preliminary reports of sonography examinations for use by the interpreting physician
- Ability to operate computerized instruments and complex machinery
Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred. ARDMS, ARRT or CCI credential required.
Experience: Minimum 2 years’ progressive experience in providing Cardiac sonography services.
Equipment Operated: Ultrasound equipment. Standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers and telephones.
Work Environment: This full-time non-exempt position is office based in a well-lit environment. May be exposed to contagious diseases and other patient-related conditions. Scheduled hours Monday – Friday and may occasionally require an evening or weekend commitment.
Physical Requirements: Must possess the physical and mental abilities to perform the tasks normally associated with a Sonographer Technician.
Send resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org