Segment Program Strategist
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona is a local, independent Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and a not-for-profit health insurance company headquartered in Phoenix. Founded in 1939, the company has more than 1,800 dedicated employees throughout its Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler and Flagstaff offices. Providing health insurance products, services and networks to more than 1 million Arizonans, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona offers various health plans for individuals, families, and small and large businesses. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also offers Medicare supplement plans to individuals over age 65.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona helps to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of Arizonans by delivering a variety of health insurance products and services to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and small and large businesses as well as providing information and tools to help individuals make better health decisions.
Responsible for managing the Commercial Segment executive office including collaborating with Commercial segment and cross-functional leaders. Reporting to the Commercial Segment General Manager, this position will work with all member’s of the Commercial Leadership Team (Sales, Product, Underwriting, Operations, Marketing, Specialty, etc.) and key cross-functional partners (IT, Corporate Marketing, Legal, Finance, etc.) to ensure alignment of business objectives, track internal and external commitments, and support the execution of business plans. Works with business partners internally and externally to develop and monitor metrics of success, create solutions, and remove barriers to ensure business goals are met. Plays a leadership role in the cultural evolution of the segment with an emphasis on strategy development and execution, change management, process improvement, analytics, and employee development. Facilitates information exchange and issue resolutions between internal business partners. Oversees and ensures success for key initiatives and mandates which have material impact to the Commercial Business segment.
Required Work Experience
- 3+ years of consulting experience, including strategy development and project/program management
- 3+ years of experience in developing short- and long-range strategic plans, financial reporting, forecasting, and budgeting
- Bachelor’s degree in business, healthcare administration, finance, or related field
Preferred Work Experience
- 8 years of experience in healthcare operations, sales, marketing, and product development
- 8 years of management experience
- 8 years of experience in developing short- and long-range strategic plans, financial reporting, forecasting, and budgeting
- 2 years of experience working on or with Agile teams
- 2 years of experience with data management/integration and contract negotiations
- Master’s degree in business, healthcare administration, or related field
ESSENTIAL job functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise, document, track and at times execute work plans for the Commercial Segment inclusive of both internal and external deliverables.
- Lead process analysis and improvement efforts to optimize department efficiency.
- Support the Commercial Segment GM in the development and evolution of growth strategies and integrate potential strategic partnerships as requested.
- Monitor projects, ensuring the program meets milestones, deliverables, budget and objectives.
- Provide expert knowledge of roadmaps and strategic view of dependencies and program solution delivery.
- Manage requirements, strategic projects, reports, analysis, and deadlines, and coaches on implementation requirements.
- Assist in managing the day-to-day activities leading to profitable growth for BCBSAZ’s Commercial Segment. This includes sales, marketing, service operations, product development, actuarial and finance activities, risk adjustment and segment strategy.
- Work with partners across the organization to build team relationships aligned with internal and external expectations of sales and service delivery.
- Work collaboratively with segment leaders as well as partners across the organization to provide data support, analysis, tracking, trending, reporting, and recommendations to drive the decision-making and prioritization of Commercial growth initiatives.
- Oversee the segment communications including town halls, COO reporting, Quarterly Business Reviews (QBR’s), employee updates, and other communication needed by the segment leadership team.
- Facilitates the annual strategic planning process on behalf of the Segment.
- Support other special projects and assignments, including temporary management assignments, as needed at the direction of the segment SM.
- Monitor quality performance measures, develop and maintain effective workflows, and maximize system efficiencies.
- Oversee use of corporate funds including budgeting, financial management, and reporting. Identify opportunities to achieve administrative efficiencies while maintaining service.
- Maintain effective working relationships to ensure teamwork in achieving corporate goals.
- Coordinate activities between multiple departments to achieve desired results.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Job Skills
- Expert written and verbal communications.
- Basic PC proficiency.
- Basic skill in word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software.
- Basic skill using departmental BCBSAZ and BCBSA software.
Required Professional Competencies
- Comfort in new ventures.
- Ability to make decisions.
- Collaborative style, coupled with an unwillingness to accept "no" and a natural aptitude for creative solutions.
- Ability to quickly identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues.
- Management skills in an operationally changing environment, with drive for results based on planned objectives.
- Oversight of and ability to interpret and approve financial statements.
- Strong understanding of issues facing the healthcare industry and ability to assess risk and opportunities to BCBSAZ.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of project management and process improvement methodologies, decision-making tools, planning tools, and data analysis tools.
- Strong negotiating skills and the ability to manage complex contractual arrangements.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Interpersonal skills that allow for harmonious relationships with providers, brokers/consultants, employer groups, members and coworkers.
- Recognize strategic opportunities and use data to make timely and sound decisions.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities.
- Ability and experience to assimilate multiple new functions, services, projects and systems while maintaining existing systems and programs.
Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals.
- Principled leadership and sound business ethics.
Preferred Job Skills
- Advanced PC proficiency.
- Advanced skill in word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software.
Preferred Professional Competencies
- Knowledge of Agile methods
Preferred Leadership Experience and Competencies
BCBSAZ does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected group.
Thank you for your interest in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. For more information on our company, see azblue.com. If interested in this position, please apply.
Imagine doing life-changing work and helping more than one million Arizonans live healthier and longer lives. That’s the kind of satisfaction you’ll find when you work here. Our exceptional teams in Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, and Flagstaff have been transforming healthcare for more than 80 years. Explore what's possible with a career at Blue Cross® BlueShield® of Arizona