Manager, Financial Planning & Strategic Analysis - Healthcare, Renton, WA
Manager, Financial Planning & Strategic Analysis - Healthcare
This is the top position of financial leadership for the designated client system (e.g. division, district, line of business). Design, implement and administer budget, financial planning and capital processes, working closely with client system to identify and develop strategies to improve the cost structure. Provide leadership and resource in the development, production and interpretation of actionable financial and indicator reporting. Drive work to benchmark financial and productivity indicators against industry and community standards. Function as content expert in client systems financial portfolio, representing client systems cost structure to both internal leadership and appropriate external customers (e.g. DOH, WSHA) and act as liaison with Kaiser Permanente departments and external agencies. Ensure client system is informed of internal and industry-wide financial performance and developments, especially as they may drive shifts in direction or prioritization of work.
- Participates on client system's leadership team to form and implement policies, procedures and plans. Establishes strategic vision and guiding principles regarding work to be accomplished: cost positioning, provide services internally or externally, implement/enhance pricing strategies, margin generation, etc. Chairs client system finance forum(s). Writes finance objectives and measurements for client system's performance agreements in alignment with Kaiser Permanente Business Plan. Oversees financial and business decision making processes, ensuring sound techniques are used (e.g. data-driven analysis, consistency of methodology, clarity of linkages between findings and recommendations). Ensures appropriate indicators such as access, referral volume trends and service volume data are incorporated into analyses that inform allocation and investment needs as well as service delivery planning.
- Designs systems to accurately capture, track, evaluate and report financial performance and risk in understandable and accessible ways. Ensures and enhances leadership's understanding of projected cost trends, performance of strategies and areas of financial risk. Expands scope of this understanding to include organization-wide, community and industry-wide performance and risk, both current and forecasted, with emphasis on market, regulatory, technological and demographic drivers on client system and organizational performance. Communicates clearly the need for strategy development, cost containment and revenue enhancement and drives work in these areas. Acts on research of analytic staff by performing or resourcing additional analysis and/or bringing issues to client system's leadership team for discussion and action. Works collaboratively to identify areas of opportunity. Performs and interprets expense, revenue and enrollment forecasting.
- Manages, mentors and directs the work of departmental staff. Reviews staff work and prepares performance evaluations. Establishes individual development plans and monitors progress of skill development. Makes hiring, termination and promotion decisions.
- Works closely as liaison with the Financial Planning Office, Financial Services Division, Care Delivery Leadership, WPMG Controller and other Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington and Permanente departments to ensure clarity of communication and direction and collaboration on joint projects and priorities. Functions as liaison in representing organization and client system's cost structure to governmental and private agencies (e.g. DOH, WSHA) who report on Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington's financial and productivity data to ensure accuracy and comparability of data. Designs and implements focused educational programs.
- Leads business standardization within the client system and collaborates in applicable billing compliance work to ensure maximum reimbursement in alignment with State and Federal regulations (OIG, HCFA).
- Minimum three (3) years of financial management or accounting experience.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, health administration or related field. License, Certification, Registration
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Communication and presentation skills.
- Computer skills including MS Office and Excel.
- Typing and 10 key skills.
- Three (3) years of supervisory or management experience.
- Knowledge of health care industry.
- Understanding of operational systems and practices in ambulatory or acute care settings.
- Quality, process improvement, facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Master's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, health administration or related field.