Optometry Supervisor, Santa Barbara, CA
Job Title: Optometry Supervisor
Date Prepared: 04/2017
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Date Revised: 11/2018
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This position is responsible for overseeing Optometry at Sansum Clinic. This position assists in establishing standards of clinical and non clinical services for Sansum Clinic patients, trains new staff members, acts as a resource and mentor to the staff. This position is dynamic and requires the supervisor to perform frontline work in addition to special assignments from the Clinical Manager in accordance with the mission, vision and values of the organization.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED Clinical Manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Yes
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift/transfer patients in excess of 50 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Good visual acuity, accurate color vision. Ability to speak and hear. Requires regular use of personal protective equipment.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Patient care environment with potential exposure to blood, body fluids, odors, communicable diseases, medicinal preparations, toxic substances, electrical hazards and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Climate controlled, indoor environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate. Work may be stressful at times.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Clinical equipment used for patient care and office equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Serves as a leader responsible for administering, planning and coordinating clinical and administrative functions to ensure compliance to Sansum Clinic’s standards of practice and the accomplishment of established objectives
- Supervises all functions related to the daily clinical and administrative operations of assigned departments. Supervises and delegates staff work assignments.
- Assesses the learning needs of the clinical staff, coordinates educational programs with the clinical director, and assists in training staff appropriately. Develops patient education as necessary.
- Evaluates the patient flow, the effectiveness of the staff, overall departmental performance, compliance issues and work methods.
- Develops guidelines for prioritizing work activities and evaluating effectiveness and makes modification as necessary.
- Establishes deadlines for work assignments and completion. Monitors status and progress.
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves problems.
- Ensures that work areas are staffed appropriately communicating with the other management staff.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of clinical standards, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to direct and provide patient care in emergency situations.
- Monitors clinical staff for compliance to standards of care. Resolves regulatory compliance issues.
- Collaborates with staff, management and other healthcare professionals to ensure high quality of patient care in an organized and timely manner.
- Promotes patient satisfaction by ensuring that patients are treated courteously in an efficient and effective manner.
- Ensures compliance with accreditation, quality assurance, legal and other regulatory requirements. Participates in accreditation activities.
- Provides strong leadership guidance and assistance.
- Responsible for performance evaluations and recommendations for employee merit increases, promotions, and disciplinary actions.
- Responsible to approve time cards, overtime and time off requests.
- Participates in the recruiting, hiring, orientation, and development of staff.
- Resolves problems; encourages and practices clear, respectful, professional communication.
- Communicates pertinent information to relevant staff and members of senior management and medical staff.
- Completes documentation to ensure the availability of accurate and up to date information in accordance with established standards.
- Displays caring, responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations.
- Works as a team player supporting a variety of staff.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques, participates in budget development, and monitors the allocation of resources.
- Adheres to established safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment/machinery and trains staff as necessary.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Completes annual performance and competency evaluation process with management and participates in goal setting, performance improvement and educational training as needed.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs/activities.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Adheres to HIPAA regulations.
- Exercises discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures. Knowledge of the principles and practices of employee development to train, delegate and mentor staff. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments specific to department specialty. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Ability to correlate clinical data with patient’s medical care. Ability to set priorities. Ability to provide direction to others that is clear, concise and promotes efficiency. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to adapt to varied, age-specific and/or specialized groups. Ability to maintain quality control standards. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to communicate clearly in English. Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide on-going patient care. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE:
- Bachelor’s Degree with a business or clinical concentration preferred.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
- Preference to having prior experience in a supervisory position.
- Computer proficiency required. Experience with electronic medical records preferred.
WE CARE STATEMENT: As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Optical Supervisor commits to uphold and contribute to the WE CARE culture, serving, communicating and caring wholeheartedly for our patients and colleagues during every encounter, every time.
As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Optical Supervisor commits to:
- Welcome warmly and sincerely
- Engage wholeheartedly
- Communicate the plan
- Ask questions to deepen understanding
- Reassure best interests are in mind
- Exit with appreciation and thanks