Medical Assistant (Various Locations), Santa Barbara, CA
Job Title: Medical Assistant
Date Prepared: 05/2009
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Date Revised: 09/21/18
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting physicians with patient care according to the Medical Board of California relating to Medical Assistants. Provides information to patients so they may fully utilize and benefit from Sansum Clinic services. May be assigned to specific medical specialty (e.g., podiatry) to help with patient care related to that specialty. This position requires a Medical Assistant Certificate or a graduate from an EMT program.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Nurse Manager or Patient Care Manager
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Good visual acuity, hand eye coordination, accurate color vision. Ability to speak and hear. Requires regular use of personal protective equipment.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Patient care environment with potential exposure to unpleasant odors, communicable diseases, medicinal preparations, potential exposure to toxic and hazardous drugs, electrical hazards and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Climate controlled, indoor environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate. Work may be stressful at times.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Clinical and office equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Assists with office procedures and provides direct patient care.
- Obtain and document patient history and vital signs (i.e., height, weight, BP).
- Performs a wide range of clerical duties that may include: obtaining test results, tracking labs, documenting information as needed, helping to schedule follow-up appointments, procedures and tests.
- Clean exam room tables, chairs, surfaces, blood pressure cuffs, patient care equipment and other equipment as needed. Keep exam rooms stocked with supplies.
- May help order and stock educational material and medical supplies.
- May assist with Medical Services Coordinator duties (i.e., greets patients, answers phones,completes paperwork).
- Organize and maintain nurse’s stations and medication rooms as needed.
- Occasionally cover for other non-licensed staff as deemed necessary.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Works as a team player supporting a variety of staff.
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques.
- Adheres to established safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Maintains and evaluates own clinical expertise and practice. Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual practice.
- Maintains certification and license requirements and submits required evidence of certification/licensure as needed.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Regular attendance is an essential job function.
- Completes annual performance and competency evaluation process with management and participates in goal setting, performance improvement and educational training as needed.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs/activities.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Adheres to HIPAA regulations.
- Exercises discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Knowledge of clinical policies and procedures. Knowledge of clinical practices and medical terminology. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to adapt to varied, age-specific and/or specialized groups. Ability to understand use, function, interpret, document, and keep records. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to organize and prioritize work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to reason and make sound judgments. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management, patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Certification with one of the following agencies required; American Association of Medical Assistants (AMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), California Certifying Board of Medical Assistants (CMAA), Note: Those who have graduated from an EMT program may also be considered, although the MA program is preferable. Applicants without a proper certification will not be considered.
- Current CPR certification/Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required or dually certified in both AHA Advanced Cardiac Life Support and AHA Pediatric Advanced Life Support at time of hire is required and non negotiable.
- Injection certified preferred.
WE CARE STATEMENT: As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Registered Nurse Specialist, Surgery Center commits to uphold and contribute to the WE CARE culture, serving, communicating and caring wholeheartedly for our patients and colleagues during every encounter, every time.
As a Sansum Clinic employee, the Registered Nurse Specialist, Surgery Center commits to:
- Welcome warmly and sincerely
- Communicate the plan
- Ask questions to deepen understanding
- Reassure best interests are in mind
- Exit with appreciation and thanks