Risk Manager Full-Time
Grand Junction, CO * Full Time * Clinical Improvement * Experienced
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. Community Hospital reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time. All responsibilities may not be performed by all incumbents.)
- Manages the risk management program:
- Plans and implements a system-wide program for both loss prevention and loss control, and a comprehensive orientation program directed to all current and future employees, board members, physicians and advise them of their responsibilities, obligations, and role in CWHS’s risk management program.
- Develop and maintain a system for proper reporting, follow up, investigation, analysis and file maintenance of all incidents and risk events that occur in Colorado West HealthCare System. Reports such events as required to state-mandated reporting systems and/or patient safety organizations.
- Collects and analyzes data for risk indicators. Plans and oversees special focused data collection and analysis to support quality clinical and management outcome decisions and program development. Maintains risk management statistics and files.
- Conducts risk management educational programs, complying with risk management related standards by Medicare Conditions of Participation, the Joint Commission and other agencies with the objective of promoting patient safety, enhancing quality care, and minimizing loss to protect the assets of the CWHS.
- Conducts systems analyses to uncover and identify patterns that could result in compensable events. Monitors the environment for changes in legal and regulatory requirements. Prepares system responses to new regulations and standards
- Develops and implements departmental and facility policies and procedures that affect liability exposures.
- Participates in evaluation of claims for settlement. Negotiates settlement of small claims with administrative authority; advises collection department of appropriate action for unpaid accounts involved in litigation.
- Works with the Chief Medical Officer to integrate risk management information into the credentialing process in compliance with state and federal agencies, accrediting bodies, and organizational requirements. Implements relevant statutes and regulations, including mandated mechanisms of physician monitoring with feedback to the CMO and CCO for credentialing and reappointment processes.
- In partnership with the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Compliance Officer, responsible for coordination of the medical staff peer review process. Sets up committee, helps to identify cases and coordinates sending cases to the Peer Review Committee. Responds to requests from the Board of Medical Examiners.
- Participate in risk-based monitoring of Clinical Trial Research, collaborating with the Research Oversight Committee when needed to assist in reducing clinical trial risk and improve data quality.
- Completes annual Risk Assessment for healthcare facility and associated clinics by mid-year.
- Sets annual risk management goals and objectives by each April of the CWHS fiscal year. Develops reports (at least quarterly) for presentation to physician committees and to the Board relating to risk management issues and goals/objectives.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or other clinical area with at least three (3) years of experience as a health care risk manager or management consultant
equivalent combination of education and experience.
Current and unrestricted clinical license in the State of Colorado
Current BLS, ARM, CPCU, FASHRM, DFASHRM, CPHRM and/or CHC designation (must be obtained within first year after hire)