Chief Operating Officer - Ambulatory Care Administration 0396HCA-20AC (NW)
An Equal Opportunity Employer
SALARY RANGE (approximate)
$65.98 - $97.00 Hour
$11,436.88 - $16,813.86 Monthly
$137,242.54 - $201,766.30 Annually
This posting is for the Ventura County Health Care Agency; vacancy location is Ventura and may require travel throughout Ventura County and neighboring counties.
Under general direction, the Chief Hospital Officer - Ambulatory Care Administration is responsible for the administration, planning, organization, and coordination of the medical clinic system of the Ventura County Medical System (VCMS). This position is exempt from the Civil Service System.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned manager and highly effective communicator who has some of the following:
- Master's degree in a health care related discipline, business, or public administration
- Progressively responsible administrative experience within a clinic network
- Experience managing operational functions within a clinic system
- Experience directing comprehensive programs and projects for a clinic network
PAYROLL TITLE: Chief Hospital Operations - E
What We Offer
The County of Ventura offers an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Educational Incentive: Possible incentives of 2.5% for an Associate's degree, 3.5% for a Bachelor's degree, or 5% for a Master's degree for classifications that do not require a degree.
- Executive Annual Leave: 248 hours earned per year, increasing to 288 hours after 5 years of service, to 328 hours after 10 years, and to 368 hours after 15 years.
- Annual Leave Redemption: up to 100 hours (of total 208 hours of Annual Leave accrued) per year.
- Deferred Compensation: Section 457 Plan and/or 401(k) Shared Savings Plan with up to a 3% match on your 401(k) contributions.
- Flexible Credit Allowance: Biweekly contribution towards medical, dental, and/or vision insurance from authorized plans.
- Flexible Spending Account: Pre-tax benefit towards eligible medical, dental, and vision care expenses.
- Pension Plan: Participation in the County's defined pension plan.
- Bilingual Incentive: Proficiency levels by exam are $.65 per hour (Level I), $.80 per hour (Level II), or $1.10 per hour (Level III).
Health Care Agency – Ambulatory Care Administration Chief Hospital Operations - E is exempt from overtime compensation. Incumbents in this classification are eligible for benefits at the MB3 level. TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OPENING DATE: 10/08/20 CLOSING DATE: Continuous and may close at any time; therefore, the schedule for the remainder of the process will depend upon when we receive a sufficient number of qualified applications to meet business needs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Directs, coordinates, monitors, and reviews the activities and staff of assigned Ambulatory Care departments to assure effective and efficient clinical and business operations, including the Federally Qualified Health Centers FQHCs), Hospital-licensed clinics, and special programs;
- Provides oversight for accreditation review and compliance, safety review, grant development, clinic facilities development, special projects, patient safety, quality assurance, and compliance;
- Supervises assigned department managers in the planning, development, and implementation of administrative initiatives, policies, procedures, and objectives;
Evaluates clinical services and implements changes in Ambulatory Care operations, if necessary. Assists in the development of pro forma financial statements for potential new service lines and/or business lines;
- Assists with the development of Ambulatory Care budget, monitors expenditures against the budget, and audits clinical registration and billing data on an ongoing basis;
- Participates in negotiations and development of professional service contracts for medical clinics and monitors contract performance. Monitors staff and provider performance against established benchmarks;
- Identifies potential problems and generates innovative, creative solutions for VCMS Ambulatory Care;
- Provides periodic reports on status of Ambulatory Care operations and projects for the Executive Director of the Community Health Center board;
- May represent VCMS Ambulatory Care clinics at meetings and conferences with County and other officials; prepares correspondence and reports as required; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, and EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in a related field AND a minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible clinical or administrative work experience in a senior management position.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Experience leading, coordinating and implementing quality assurance and/or performance improvement processes and projects
- Excellent written communication skills must be demonstrated in the completion of the employment application
- Master's degree in a health care related discipline, business, or public administration
- 10 or more years of progressively responsible experience related to a clinic system
- Experience managing operational functions within
- Experience managing a comprehensive quality, patient safety, or performance improvement programs
- Training in Lean Six Sigma
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Knowledge of the following:
- Principles of clinical systems and healthcare administration;
- Principles of business and public administration, including budgeting;
- Principles and techniques of effective supervision and staff utilization;
- Program management including planning, implementation, evaluation, and reporting as required by laws, codes and regulations;
- Modern ambulatory care organization, practices, supplies, and equipment;
- Joint Commission and federal and State regulatory standards regarding healthcare practices in an ambulatory care system;
- Methods and techniques of conflict resolution and negotiation;
- County, state, and federal legislation applicable to contemporary clinic operations and patient care issues, methods, regulations, and procedures for research; and
- Methods and techniques of process improvement such as Lean Six Sigma.
Skill in the following:
- Redesigning systems to improve quality, performance and efficiency; and
- Performance measurement and program evaluation.
Ability to do the following:
- Plan, organize, coordinate, develop, and direct the quality and performance improvement program for a clinic network;
- Establish and maintain effective relations with managers and staff, and others contacted in the course of work;
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- Evaluate the quality and effectiveness of the healthcare programs and improve areas requiring attention;
- Analyze organization, administrative and personnel problems, and recommend sound solutions;
- Comprehend, interpret and apply laws, rules, regulations, and procedures affecting medical or healthcare services; and
- Lead, motivate, and supervise staff.
FINAL FILING DATE: This is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time; therefore, apply as soon as possible if you are interested. Your application must be received by County of Ventura Human Resources in Ventura, California, no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
APPLICATION/RESUME EVALUATION – qualifying:
All applications will be reviewed. Selected candidates will be invited to a panel interview. The top candidates, as determined by the panel, will then be invited to a second interview with the Health Care Agency executive team. Interviews may be consolidated into one process or expanded into multiple interviews contingent upon the size and quality of the candidate pool.
COMPARATIVE SCREENING – qualifying: If there is a high number of qualified applicants, a comparative screening will be conducted to determine which of the applicants will be selected for invitation to the oral examination. Applications will be evaluated and ranked according to criteria that most closely meets the needs of the department, so it is essential that applicants provide as much detail as possible and answer all parts of the application and supplemental questions.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: A thorough pre-employment, post offer background investigation which may include inquiry into past employment, education, criminal background information, and driving record may be required for this position. For further information about this recruitment, please contact Nathan Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (805) 677-5232.
To apply: · Submit an online application at http://www.ventura.org/jobs and attach your cover letter and current resume OR · Send a cover letter and a current resume with detailed work history to the name and address below OR · If you prefer to fill out a paper application, please call (805) 654-5129 for application materials Send application materials to: Nathan Wood County of Ventura, CEO HR - HCA 800 South Victoria Avenue, L-#1980 Ventura CA 93009