Lower Umpqua Hospital Seeks a Full-Time Laboratory Manger.
The Clinical Laboratory Manager is responsible for strong leadership, direction, and administration of the District’s Clinical Laboratory Services by planning, developing, organizing, and evaluating the laboratory operations and performance. The Manager establishes standards for cost control, quality and safety as well as ensuring operational adherence to currently accepted standards of Laboratory Medicine. The Manager monitors utilization patterns of lab services and advises appropriate staff of developing trends in clinical service needs, and has comprehensive knowledge of accrediting organizations and what is expected when the department is surveyed.
This position ensures the attainment of Clinical Laboratory objectives through the selection, development, motivation, education, and evaluation of Clinical laboratory personnel, as follows:
- Specifies personnel accountabilities and regularly evaluates performance.
- Establishes appropriate departmentalization and delegation.
- Develops and regularly reviews policies and procedures for the department.
- Assists HR in developing job descriptions, and ensures that each employee understands and has the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the job.
This is a “working management” position and the manager is expected to perform clinical laboratory procedures, quality assurance, and instrument maintenance, in addition to being “on call” periodically. While “on call” it is required to report to the Clinical Laboratory within 20 minutes when called to work. They will supervise all clinical laboratory personnel. The Manager reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and collaborates with a designated Clinical Pathologist.
Job Duties/Essential Functions:
(This list does not include all the duties that may be assigned.)
JOB SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Performs routine and special laboratory tests.
- Performs such preventive maintenance, quality control, and calibrations as required or outlined in the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Recognizes, analyzes, and takes immediate corrective action to resolve instrument, clinical, or employee issues.
- Practical, technical and professional skills required to assist staff with daily tasks
- Identifies and evaluates patient test results that appear inconsistent with relevant criteria such as age, sex, diagnosis and relationship with other test results available in the laboratory.
- Maintains compliance with Laboratory and facility policies/procedures as well as safety practices.
- Has a thorough knowledge and understanding of the mission, purposes, policy, procedures, and standards of the hospital
- Has a thorough knowledge and understanding of regulatory requirements for Laboratory
- Keeps up to date with best practices and new developments.
- Actively participates and supports quality assurance, quality control and performance improvement in the department; participates in the Hospital’s Continuous Quality Improvement program
- Develops employee work schedule and call schedule.
- Proficient in use of electronic applications
- Ensures confidentiality of patient records
- Maintains all required records, reports and statistics
- Maintains all license and education records for all staff according to CLIA
- Responsible for ensuring high quality patient care and that there is economical and efficient performance
- Baccalaureate degree that meets National Certification Examination requirements is required.
- Must have a Bachelor of Science Degree and be able to produce transcripts
- Must meet the requirements to be the Lab Technical Supervisor per CLIA
- Comprehensive knowledge of laboratory equipment.
- Strong managerial experience required.
- Successful completion of National Certification Examination.
- Meets CLIA 88 requirements.
Qualified applicants should apply in person or complete an online application here. Mail completed application to Lower Umpqua Hospital, 600 Ranch Road, Reedsport, OR 97467 or fill out the pdf form, save it to your computer, and then email to Holly Tavernier, Director of Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org Please call with questions: 541-271-2171 Ext. 5300
Applicant must pass criminal background check, physical agility test and drug screen (including marijuana, which is not Federally legal). Lower Umpqua Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.
Full and part-time employee benefits include:
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription Benefits
- 403B Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Generous PTO Accrual
- Flexible Spending Account
- Long Term Disability
- In-House Fitness Room