Director of Quality Management **
Job Locations: US-CA-Redding or Fairfield
Job ID 2022-2281 FLSA Status Exempt
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Quality and Performance Improvement (QI/PI), the
Director of Quality Management is responsible for directing plan-wide and regional performance
improvement initiatives, quality incentive programs, and quality improvement data visualization
tools and analyses. This includes, but is not limited to strategic goal setting, program planning,
budget/account management, and supervision of teams.
- Direct PHC’s performance improvement activities, conducted by regional performance
improvement teams and others in the quality department. Activities include large-scale
network wide initiatives, DHCS mandated improvement projects, elective improvement
projects conducted with internal and external partners, and initiatives specific to engaging
members and improving member experience.
- Assure ongoing prioritization, progress, evaluation, and monitoring of network wide and
regional project portfolios to assure short term tactical plan objectives under the PHC 5-
Star Quality Strategy are achieved. Direct knowledge management processes and
inventories to inform multi-year intervention strategies in quality measure score
- Ensures all interventions are measured for effectiveness and efficiency, with timely
analysis and reporting. Assures initiatives and programs are evaluated at an appropriate
frequency with comprehensive, data driven reporting, conclusions, and recommendations.
Oversee the delivery and ongoing development of PHC’s Partnership Improvement
Academy and its associated programs.
- Direct PHC’s Primary Care, Hospital, Perinatal, Palliative, Enhanced Case Management,
and Long Term Care Quality Incentive Programs, also known as Quality Improvement
Programs (QIPs). The QIPs provide financial incentives, data, and technical assistance to
our provider network for meeting performance improvement targets.
- Research, develop strategies, and advise on QIP payment and incentive methodologies
for enhancing existing programs to align with the PHC 5-Star Quality Strategy. Initiate
new pay for performance programs, as needed.
- Direct the maintenance and enhancement of PHC’s provider level quality data
visualization and analysis program, the Partnership Quality Dashboard. Work closely
with Quality Improvement Analysis team, other leadership across QI department and
PHC as a whole on data and measurement related activities, including the QIPs, PHC
Stars Dashboard, provider reporting tools, and internal dashboards and program
- Lead, develop, and coach the leadership of PHC’s Performance Improvement teams,
quality incentive programs (QIPs), and Quality Improvement Analysis teams in the
hiring, training, coaching, and support of staff.
- Assure robust communication and ongoing collaboration is achieved with sponsors,
stakeholders, leadership, staff, and external partners involved in performance
improvement initiatives and project portfolios across the organization.
- Stay informed on key developments in the quality improvement field that impact our
provider network, including patient-centered medical home certification criteria,
meaningful use, primary care transformation best practices, and quality reporting
- Partner closely with the Director of Quality Measurement to strengthen communication,
understanding, and decision-making in how changes to NCQA and DHCS measure sets
inform performance improvement priorities, QIP measure development, and data
visualization in Partnership Quality Dashboard (PQD).
- Foster strong partnerships between QI, Health Analytics, IT, and Population Health to
fulfill data collection, reporting, and dashboard needs in achieving QI/PI deliverables and
related organizational goals, while addressing competing priorities and assuring good
stewardship of technical resources.
- Serve as a member of QI Department and Health Services Management Teams:
- Support Senior Director in budget management, staffing decisions, and strategic
and operational planning.
- Serves as a key contributor to maintaining and advancing progress under PHC’s
5-Star Quality Strategy and corresponding tactical plans, work plans, and
- Support development of direct reports and other department staff by establishing
clear goals, expectation, and metrics on all projects.
- Accept other responsibilities as determined by the needs of the QI department.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in applicable field required; Master’s degree in
healthcare is strongly preferred. Formal certification in areas of
professional expertise such as Lean Six-Sigma, IHI’s Improvement
Advisor Program, and training in the Model for Improvement is
desirable. Minimum of three (3) years management experience
required. Experience should include managing multifaceted quality and
performance improvement projects. Working knowledge of principles
and techniques of effective management, including training and
evaluation. In depth knowledge of Quality Improvement
Special Skills, Licenses and Certifications
Ability to lead and motivate teams in achieving superior performance
while assuring professional development of staff. Superior
communication skills, adaptability, openness to feedback and new
ideas. Excellent project management skills, including project planning,
resource allocation, and completion status tracking and reporting.
Strong critical thinking and data analytic skills are required. Advanced
data analytic skills in healthcare quality data are desired. In depth
knowledge of improvement methodologies such as the Model for
Improvement, Lean, Six Sigma. High level of proficiency in MS Word,
Excel, Outlook, and Visio are minimum requirements. Proficiency in
MS Project, Tableau, and reporting software desirable. Valid California
driver’s license and proof of current automobile insurance compliant
with PHC policy are required to operate a vehicle and travel for
Performance Based Competencies
Strong written and oral communication skills. Excellent interpersonal
skills to build relationships and communicate with the PHC provider
network, various PHC regional offices, and other PHC departments.
Ability to teach and coach diverse healthcare leadership and staff on
quality management projects. Strong organizational skills to work on
multiple projects simultaneously within established time frames. Strong
analytic and critical thinking skills. Demonstrated skills in facilitation,
consensus building, conflict resolution, and identification of concrete
Work Environment And Physical Demands
Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and maintain
courtesy and composure when dealing with internal and external
customers. Ability to function effectively with frequent interruptions
and direction from multiple team members. More than 50% of work
time is spent in front of a computer monitor. When necessary, the
ability to lift, carry, or move manuals and reports, weighing up to 25
All HealthPlan employees are expected to:
- Provide the highest possible level of service to clients;
- Promote teamwork and cooperative effort among employees;
- Maintain safe practices; and
- Abide by the HealthPlan’s policies and procedures, as they may from time to time be updated.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive or definitive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or work environment change.