Human Resources Manager
Under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer, oversee a comprehensive human resources program for the Health Plan of San Mateo (HPSM) that includes the provision of human resources services to management and staff in the areas of staffing, performance management, employee relations, payroll, training, compensation, benefits, and compliance with employment laws.
- Provide supervision of Human Resources staff. Foster a collaborative team environment and accomplish team member results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and implementing corrective action steps when necessary. Complete performance evaluations in a timely manner
- Develop, coordinate, and enforce systems, policies, procedures and productivity standards
- Provide ongoing information and assistance to managers and staff in all areas of human resources such as employee selection, employee retention, performance management, disciplinary action, and equal employment opportunity to ensure fair treatment and compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures. Assist managers and staff in identifying and addressing human resources issues at the earliest possible point
- Oversee and assist managers and supervisors in developing and maintaining fair and equitable job performance standards and completing consistent performance evaluations in a timely manner
- Manage front-line talent acquisition efforts through the development of hiring plans, recruitment marketing, candidate sourcing, and participation in community job/career fairs.
- Oversee the New Hire and Onboarding Program to ensure that employees feel welcomed and inspired.
- Continuously monitor and update HPSM policies and procedures related to Human Resources activities.
- In conjunction with the Finance Department, manager the employee payroll processing system and ensure the accuracy and completeness of payroll/personnel related information
- Oversee the collection, maintenance, and analysis of payroll/personnel information and data; prepare a variety of specialized reports and information on a scheduled and as requested basis. Utilize HRIS as appropriate.
- Under the guidance of the COO, manage all job classification and compensation activities and provide recommendations on employee salary and benefits packages to ensure HPSM remains competitive in the job market.
- Under the guidance of the COO, oversee the contract performance of outside consultants providing specialized human resources studies, surveys, and training.
- Under the guidance of the COO, handle specialized and complex risk management issues in areas such as worker’s compensation, disability leave, modified work, and employee safety.
Education, Experience, Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or a related field plus five years management experience in human resources operations. Health care/HMO environment experience desirable.
- Human resources functions and responsibilities in a public sector organization.
- Appropriate state and federal laws and regulations regarding human resource management.
- Sound project planning, administrative, and management principles and techniques.
- Supervisory techniques, resource allocation, planning and budgeting.
- Please list ability information here
- Direct and coordinate all aspects of human resource administration.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate the work of staff.
- Analyze and evaluate statistical data and reports related to human resource management/employee relations.
- Establish and evaluate human resources policies and procedures.
- Effectively and persuasively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Identify existing or potential problems, secure relevant information relating data from a variety of sources, determine probable cause(s), and effect appropriate solution(s).
- Successfully develop, control, and monitor Departmental budget and expenditures.
- Utilize appropriate interpersonal style and methods of communication to gain acceptance, cooperation, or agreement of a plan, activity, and/or program idea.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
- Negotiate agreement between differing individuals and groups of individuals.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter with salary expectations directly to Chris Baughman: Chris.Baughman@hpsm.org
Excellent benefits package includes:
- HPSM-paid premiums for employee’s medical, dental and vision coverage (employee pays 10% of each dependent’s premiums)
- Fully paid life, AD&D and LTD insurance
- Retirement plan (HPSM contributes equivalent of 10% of annual compensation)
- 13 paid holidays a year, 12 paid sick days a year and paid vacation starting at 16 days a year
- Tuition reimbursement plan
- Employee wellness program
Health Plan of San Mateo (HPSM) is a local County-funded nonprofit that manages the health care for over 140,000 low-income people of San Mateo County, including all its Medi-Cal eligible residents. HPSM is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.