Medical Director, Kotzebue, AK
Job Code: 2017:OTZ-123
Location: Kotzebue, Alaska
Program: Medical Staff
FT/PT Status: Full Time
Responsible for directing all administrative and clinical aspects of the Medical Services Division. This position is a member of the Maniilaq Board of Directors Health Center Committee and MHC Executive Leadership Team. The Medical Director works closely with other MHC directors to coordinate services and to ensure services are of the highest quality. Reports directly to the Health Services Administrator. Supervises the medical staff and office employees. Provides clinical duties as necessary.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides leadership and general oversight of medical services at Maniilaq Health Center and the eleven village clinics.
- Recommends and assures compliance with policies, procedures, bylaws, processes of privileging/credentialing, and standards of care that are conducive to the provision of high quality medical services and that comply with Joint Commission standards, state and federal licensure or regulations, Medicare, Medicaid, Indian Health Services requirements, and other regulations, guidelines, requirements,, and statutes as applicable .
- Assures provision of medical care per credentials/privileges granted by medical staff/Board of Directors.
- Ensures clinical coverage systems to ensure effective and safe delivery of care.
- Responsible for management and supervision of medical staff and medical office administrative personnel.
- Responsible for oversight of recruitment, selection and hiring of the permanent and locums’ medical staff.
- Reviews and recommends credentialing and privileging of providers to the Medical Staff and Governing Body.
- Assures provision of clinical orientation/mentoring of new providers, collaborative agreements for physician’s assistants and paramedics, clinical supervision of mid-levels required by Joint Commission, signing nursing and health aid standing orders, and health aid licenses.
- Responsible for completion of Annual Performance Reviews and other required personnel actions for medical services employees.
- Responsible for development and management of medical services operating budget.
- Works closely with the Medical Staff and the Executive Leadership Team to evaluate, plan and implement health service improvements.
- Provides oversight of peer review process and clinical performance improvement indicators, including ORYX and GPRA.
- Utilizes team building, problem solving skills, and lean principles, in the on-going quality improvement initiatives.
- Directs Medical Staff meetings; participates in or delegates the participation in committees or work groups that require Medical Staff involvement.
- Attends or delegates attendance at statewide Clinical Director’s Meeting and Medical Services Networking Committee.
- Prepares and delivers reports for the Maniilaq Board of Directors/ Health Center Committee, other committees/organizations as appropriate.
- Provides or delegates clinical input into response to patient complaints and Medical Incident/Case Review.
- Demonstrates and holds all staff members accountable for a positive customer service attitude at all times.
M.D. or D.O. Credentialed and Privileged at Maniilaq Medical Center. Minimum of two years post Residency clinical work experience. One year supervisory experience preferred. Elected by the Medical Staff of Maniilaq Health Center and ratified by the Hospital Administrator. Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people in this job.