Director, Surgical Services, Cleveland, OH
Position:Director, Surgical Services
UH Facility:UH Cleveland Medical Center
Status:Regular Full Time
Work Days of Week:M-F
University Hospitals Medical Group (UHMG), the unified faculty practice plan of University Hospitals, is comprised of several practices representing medical and surgical specialties located within University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center and throughout Northeastern Ohio. As part of our historic affiliation, many of the UHMG physicians serve on the faculty of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. UHMG strives to champion the success of the physician practices and UH in fulfilling our mission: To Heal. To Teach. To Discover.
The Director, Surgical Services has responsibility for the strategic direction, clinical operations, financial and human resource management, revenue cycle, performance improvement and overall leadership responsibility of the UHMG practices including Surgery, Orthopedics, Anesthesia, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Plastics, Urology, Ophthalmology, and Otolaryngology. This person will interface with the UHMG Leadership team and necessary inter-disciplinary professionals across the University Hospital Health System.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develops and implements strategic business plans for expansion and growth at Main Campus, Community Hospitals, Ambulatory Sites and potential partnerships.
- Utilizes decision support, planning and marketing data to aid leadership in prioritizing strategic objectives based on profitability analysis, market dynamics and related factors.
- Designs, coordinates and implements data sources, analytics, reporting and presentations in order to provide clear and actionable information to the strategic decision making process.
- Maintains current knowledge of new developments in health care, trends impacting the industry, population trends and health care needs; evaluates new technology with respect to clinical need and financial feasibility.
- Collaborates with business partners on decisions related to fund development, managed care contracting, human resource management, financial budgeting, and capital construction.
- Collaborates with management in policy formation, program and capital planning, quality improvement and medical outcomes monitoring, resource management and other issues related to Medical Services.
- Collaborates with Physician Specialists to build and foster strong relationships within each practice to promote tertiary services and grow volume in each of the practices and develop new and innovative services programs.
- Demonstrates capabilities in cross-functional process assessment, problem solving, and process improvement. Works with Hospital, division and senior leadership to support and assist in establishment of focused local market strategic initiatives and resulting business initiatives.
- Develops appropriate business plans in conjunction with Business Analytics/Development to meet strategic and business objectives, including data support and integrity, marketing resources, financial services, strategic planning, etc.
- Provides day to day direction and coordination of select hospital and community based clinical services, including but not limited to full P/L accountability, charge capture and reconciliation, tactical and logistical planning.
- Develops and implements goals, objectives, target benchmarks, and measurable success indicators that demonstrate full commitment to the highest standards of care. Provides direct day-to-day accountability by creating and monitoring internal controls for the professional services and professional service agreements.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary team of clinical, administrative, UHPS, financial and support services personnel within the hospital, and, where appropriate, in selected outpatient and community settings.
- In collaboration with hospital and health system resource, establishes and monitors reasonable productivity targets for physician practice. Provides day to day monitoring of professional billing activities routinely reviews and reports technical encounter/performance results as measured against targets.
- Oversees the delivery of patient care and ensures optimal levels and continuous improvement of clinical and service quality.
- Ensures compliance with State and Federal Laws, accreditation, professional and regulatory standards including quality assurance and licensure requirements, policies, procedure and moral and ethical codes. Maintains and applies current knowledge regarding applicable regulatory standards related to clinical service delivery.
- Responsible for the financial and fiscal management of the departments, including budget development, variance management and expense management.
- Oversees and manage the revenue cycle process and outcomes, implementing performance initiatives when necessary (registration accuracy, denial, management, etc).
- Responsible for developing a talent management strategy that focuses on skill set inventory required to advance the departments. Create a learning environment that fosters growth, creativity and accountability.
- Demonstrates leadership skill when leading a team through organizational change, including the ability to train, motivate and influence.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters degree (MHA or MBA preferred).
Experience & Knowledge:
7 – 10 years of progressive healthcare administration
experience in a large academic medical center. Five years experience in practice management with an emphasis on system and regional coverage preferred.
- Five years experience in financial management with proven skills in pro-forma development, cost effectiveness analysis, revenue enhancement and expense management
- Extensive knowledge of healthcare operations, general management principles and techniques
- Demonstrated ability for project management, forecasting, policy review and formation, business systems, financial analysis, business plan writing and organizational effectiveness
- Experience in planning and implementing change in complex operational environments
- Ability to prepare detailed written reports
- Strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks in an efficient and effective manner
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Educational verification may be required for this position. In support of our mission “to improve health every day”, this is a tobacco-free environment.